Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got ePSXe installed and setup in my cabinet. It's a nice emulator. I got ISO's od a couple of my games and after trying three different packages to create ISO's I finally found one that gives me good images that ePSXe will read. Anyways, I'm looking for a good controller setup for single player action. What is the recommended setup, a PC gamepad or an original PSX controller with one of those joy-thingys? What equipment do you all suggest?

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well obviously a PSX pad with an adapter is the most "authentic" solution...but sometimes those adapters are quite hard to find (if you dont want to use the internet), so a PC gamepad will work fine.

·
Be The One
37 Posts
Almost every store carrying videogame products carries PC game controllers (namely Wal-Mart). Although very cheap (in quality) they resemble a PS1 controller in most respects, but watch out, many are faulty. Out of 3 controllers I have bought for PC, 2 have been defective (stay away from Logitech Dual Action >_<!). Cheap isn't usually the best quality wise, but it will get the job done effectively. And to quote Mike Brady, "Caveat emptor."

>Zen_master That config is crazy! o_O

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
boa, i have a logitech dual action. works great in all games, i havent had a problem yet..

·
Registered
317 Posts
:rant: What do you mean its crazy! If you actualy try and play using that, its quite simple(ignore the joystick part), its quite simple actually all of the buttons are close together and easy to remember, and when you play its wery conftobale and fast, great for tekken and 2d fighter because you can just smash all the buttons at once :evil:

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
hushypushy said:
well obviously a PSX pad with an adapter is the most "authentic" solution...
and one of the best IMO, BTW, psx dual shock is one of best pads in the world (8 buttons + 2 (select start) + one digital pad and 2 analog sticks... you can almost play an aeroplane simulator with it ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
my ps-joy converter doesnt do rumble and the analog sticks dont work even though they configure easy enough :(

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i wouldnt mess with playstation usb adapters. quality varies a lot on them. i use a DIY parallel port controller to connect my dualshocks. quality is controlled by how well you solder and driver support, psxpad or ppjoy, is very good. as for cost, i can build one from scratch for under $10 and have made a 4-player one for under $20.

if you cant build one, then i would consider getting a good clone pc pad, you can get thrustmaster firestorm dual power usb pads for under $10 at computergeeks.com

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
my Boom! N64/PSX adapter is now busted, only the N64 part of it works. thus, im using the Logitech Dual Action. it's good---but the D pad is exceedingly awful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i actually think that the controller pic just needs one small updage, just to make it easier to know which button is which, on the top two only, like put R1, R2, L1, and L2 with text to the left side that identifies which one is which, because it is fairly hard w/o guessing to fix it.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
if you look in teh little box down below it says what button you are trying, ie R1 or R2

·
Registered
102 Posts
KanedA said:
than something must be damaged :/
I got no idea what it is. If i use my boom i get the same result :/. Missus ordered a new dvd yesterday and i got a new ps2 - usb adaptor sent out. fingers crossed :). If not i will just make do. Can remember playing my psx before the analog controllers got added :D

**EDIT**

OMG I'm such a smackhead. Pressed F5 and, well you know the rest :heh:
Maybe this new adaptor will do rumble :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
The boom rumbles. Well, mine does :p . When using XP, you have to force install the drivers -> go to device manager, select the adaptor, and click on 'change drivers'. Browse to the .inf file in the driver folder, and use it. You can configure the rumble options in 'gaming devices config'. Be aware that i'm using a spanish version of Windows, and just direct translating the names - they might be slightly different.

·
Registered
92 Posts
JCrouse said:
I just got ePSXe installed and setup in my cabinet. It's a nice emulator. I got ISO's od a couple of my games and after trying three different packages to create ISO's I finally found one that gives me good images that ePSXe will read. Anyways, I'm looking for a good controller setup for single player action. What is the recommended setup, a PC gamepad or an original PSX controller with one of those joy-thingys? What equipment do you all suggest?

Thanks,
John
Hello, i recommend MS sidewinder usb pad, it's not too expensive and it work well with epsxe and other emulators too.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
The Nyko Airflow PC controller, conveniently located at a specialty gaming store near you (I got mine from GameStop), is better than the dual shock controller and costs a mere $25. Unless you absolutely cannot live without rumble, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest picking up one of these bad boys. I like them so much, I may go pick up some of the other products Nyko has in this line. This is the best controller in the world right now, imho.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I suggest getting a gravis gamepad... sure it's kinda old but it works like a dream for me in all emulators. But if your gonna dish out the extra $$$ go for the psx dual shock like kaneda said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help with PSX--->serial? please

Bgnome said:
i wouldnt mess with playstation usb adapters. quality varies a lot on them. i use a DIY parallel port controller to connect my dualshocks. quality is controlled by how well you solder and driver support, psxpad or ppjoy, is very good. as for cost, i can build one from scratch for under $10 and have made a 4-player one for under $20.

if you cant build one, then i would consider getting a good clone pc pad, you can get thrustmaster firestorm dual power usb pads for under $10 at computergeeks.com
BG could you be kind enough to e-mail the schematics that you used to create your psx--->serial controller? I am in the process of creating one and I seemed to have solder to the wrong pins on the DB-25. It's no big deal because I can just solder them off and recconnect them to the correct pin outs. I am using a regular US psx1 pad. (it is the vanilla flavor that came with my PSX) My controller does not haev the white and the gray wires that I keep seeing on all the boards and schematics on the web. I only have brown, red, blue, yellow, black, orange, and green. If it helps I can e-mail you a graphical representation.

I would really like to use this rather than my usb axis pad. That thing is such a pain to use with epsxe. So I suggest NOT using an aXis pad built by interact.

Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts