Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, what do you think it will be the ultimate gaming machine in the next years: the X-Box, Playstation 2 or the mighty computer?
I believe that even though machines like x-box do have an impressive performacen in gaming, it won't replace the pc, specially in some kinds of games like the fps ( HALF-LIFE:D , UT, Q3) and strategy games! SHOGUN!! And besides, whatever game they create for consoles, the pc will be able to emulate it, right?

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Someone forgot GameCube,you should really look for this one,it won't be the same as the N64,you'll be surprised:p .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I didn't mention gamecube for a matter of precaution... lookin to the example given by sega, with to major failures called Saturn and Dreamcast, not to mention N64, I'm relutant to consider gamecube a serious rival eithei for x-box or PS2. But the time will reveal... Personaly i think nintendo should keep its kid orientation, since it's the best in that area!

·
Registered
680 Posts
GameCube uses Apple's G processor for it's brain. You should consider cause Apple's G processor is built on 64 bit processor! - you'll be surprised with its graphic

S

·
0 Posts
I think the PC will win out in the long run. After all, you can't do a budget, write reports, or have your kids do their homwork on an X-Box, Game Cube, PS2, or even a GBA. But the PC will let you do all that as well as play great games and emulate the greatest consoles and other types of computers ever. As the Gaming console evolves, so, I believe, will the PC.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
despite all that... kids will still want a console. yeah, sure, some 9 yr olds can troubleshoot Windows. but will they have more fun fiddling with an emulator/pc game, than they will _playing_ with a Gamecube or PS2?

I'd say computers are still too weird... it takes forever to load the os, and another forever to load the game, then it psuedo randomly gives you a bsod.

the plug'n play simplicity of a console is the key here.

ok, enough "bashing" the computers... so, which console? Gamecube is my bet. it's cheap, it's fast, it's fun (probably). if history repeats itself, it's not the machine that is most powerful that wins the race. it's what games you can get on it that matters. however that is not easy to determine before hand. so i dont wanna write all the nonsense i used to guess why gamecube will have the best games. btw, ps2 would be a close 2nd. i dont think the xbox will be of any importance. it reminds me of the atari jaguar.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
think about what your comparing, Sega to Nintendo. Sega has had many more failures then Nintendo, even then N64 was still a good game system and the only real failure I would consider would be the Virtual Boy.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well hers a trend I noticed for consoles that are sold here in Ireland.

For the 8 bit the most successful was the NES from nintendo
For the 16Bit the most sucessful was the Mega Drive (genesis) from sega.
For the 32Bit the most successful was the Playstation from sony.

The trend? No company has ever made 2 consoles that were the most popular over here. My guess is that we like things that are competely different. So following this pattern I guess the x-box might be the more popular.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I agree that PC will always be better for the same reasons sxamiga said. Although consoles have legendary games like Tekken & Final Fantansy, that we can't play on the PC, the PC still is the best, and we can always emulate them anyway. And of course, PC has also legendary games, like Thief or Diablo that a console will never emulate.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Actually one of the thief games is going to come out on X-box and DeusEx is coming out on PS2 and X-box, but they won't be as good as on PC. You just can't play games like that with a gamepad.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by Adair
Actually one of the thief games is going to come out on X-box and DeusEx is coming out on PS2 and X-box, but they won't be as good as on PC. You just can't play games like that with a gamepad.
That's one reason why they are planning to release a keyboard and mouse... which will more or less makes the x-box a pc in disguise :p

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
yep the only problem is that because it will only have a pentium III ngemu's boards will be flooded woth ppl asking why only office 2000 runs on it and when they can expect to see an emulator for office (insert 2 letters here):D

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
yep the only problem is that because it will only have a pentium III ngemu's boards will be flooded woth ppl asking why only office 2000 runs on it and when they can expect to see an emulator for office (insert 2 letters here)
ngemu working did they finish working on it?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts