Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple of good games yesterday when I was shopping in Erie with my girlfriend. Among the games, I got Nascar Racing 2003 Season, Nascar Thunder 2003, and Tron 2.0. One of the things, though, that really irritated me was these three games seemed designed for the keyboard and you couldn't map all the keys to a controller.

I find it strange when a game supports $300-$600 video cards, but fails to have support for a $30 joystick. I can't be the only gamer with a Platystation dual shock joystick hooked up to his PC! LOL :heh: But where's the support? Even "free" programs like MAME support Dual Shock josticks and can map "all" the buttons and sticks...

Take Tron 2.0 for example, It made me mad to think that while a 2GHZ PC *and kickass videocard* could look better than the XBOX version, but the XBOX version would play better with the controller than the wacky keyboard layout on the PC version... :hdbash:

I understand that there are games that play better with keyboard, but it seems too many good games on the PC don't fully support controllers... If freeware programs can support solid controllers, why can't commercial PC games? :cuss2:

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
You're perfectly right. A lot more PC games should have better controller support. The only PC game I have that works really well with a controller is FFXI and that is a game you wouldn't expect to work well with a controller.

G

·
well, firstly, keyboard is the best form of control ever ;)
and Tron 2.0 is an fps, right? Well, to each their own I guess! :)
But I find it strange if it's true what you say about the nascar games; I don't have them, but they ought to work fine with wheels; why would pads not work?
Nascar Thunder 2k3 is AFAIK an ISI game, and I have F1 2K2 and F1 Challenge from them. Those work just fine with the analog gamepad I have, and I think most of the racing games do.... can't comment on the other Nascar game, allthough it's known (from forums I visited) to work great with a wheel; why would pad not work?
The only problem I can see is an issue with the secondary analog controller. Some games don't recognize it correctly with my pad (MGS2 and GP4), allthough a different pad did work on MGS2 (but that pad sucked).
Either way, I think I had this discussion once before? ;) ....I'll admit that it can sometimes be a bit of a hassle to get everything set up correctly.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Paratech said:
I got a couple of good games yesterday when I was shopping in Erie with my girlfriend. Among the games, I got Nascar Racing 2003 Season, Nascar Thunder 2003, and Tron 2.0. One of the things, though, that really irritated me was these three games seemed designed for the keyboard and you couldn't map all the keys to a controller.
Well, none of those games are something that you'd want to play with a gamepad... I've always prefered to play racing games (ie: the NfS series) with a keyb as for FPSs well... why'd you want to play them with a gamepad?

Gamepads are only suitable to adventure games like Legacy of Kain or similar... granted there aren't many of those on the PC... unless you want to use a gamepad to play Strategy games...

G

·
Kaiser Sigma said:
Well, none of those games are something that you'd want to play with a gamepad... I've always prefered to play racing games (ie: the NfS series) with a keyb as for FPSs well... why'd you want to play them with a gamepad?
duh. seems you don't know a lot about racing games, Kaiser.
Said games are simulations; you DON'T want to play those with keyboard. It's not like those are anything like NFS.

NFS gets keyboard preference from me as well...but a decent simulation, well, preferrably a wheel but pad's second best (and doesn't take as much room)

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
I'm just an average racing gamer if that's what you mean... I can't picture myself with a driving wheel on my bedroom... keyb still gets my vote.

G

·
right, and that's why you're wrong when you think a game like Nascar Thunder 2003 should be played with a keyboard. Not that it isn't possible, it's just the same as playing DDR with a keyboard (and to a certain extent, silent scope without the scope).

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Well, I never played any nascar game... since it's all about driving in circles I thought it would be playable with a keyb :p

G

·
well, at least you know it's about driving in circles. I expected worse ;)

and playable with kb? yes. it is playable. But really not recommended.

anyway, I think the topic was about how PC games apparantly lack in controller setup.... and here I was, thinking it had improved.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Well, let's take arcade games which could use gamepad support as an example... Oni or Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness, botg games would benefit from gamepad support and yet you are stuck with either keyb + mouse or just keyb...

PC gamers will have to understand that their gaming life is forever linked to the keyboard...

G

·
I personally am a big fan of the keyboard, but it shouldn't be such a trouble to have decent pad support. 9 out of 10 games I've played recently had decent controller config setups.
And well, as I said, some games just don't play good at all with keyboard.

I could really go into detail about when keyboard is the better choice or not, since there's a thing or two to say about that, but it would become really lengthy....maybe something for a separate topic. ;)
(This is were so called "semi-sims" kick in, like RaceDriver 2 (my avatar/sig). It has sim elements but plays remarkably well with keyboard.)

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Samor said:
I personally am a big fan of the keyboard, but it shouldn't be such a trouble to have decent pad support. 9 out of 10 games I've played recently had decent controller config setups.
And well, as I said, some games just don't play good at all with keyboard.
I've mixed feelings... Oni's implementation of keyb + mouse was superb, I don't mind at all not being able to play with gamepad, however in games like ShadowMan or the Legacy of Kain series where you have to pull a lot of button combinations or games like Sonic Heroes where you have to press quickly the directions and all the keyb results, to me, kind of jerky...

G

·
sonic adventure was very playable with keyboard for me, but sonic heroes is a bit troublesome with all the different kinds of buttons.
Still planning to get the PC version of that one though, since the PS2 version is considered inferior.

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
have to say keyboard is best usually but it is annoying when you want to use a controller and you can't

ah well at least epsxe and the n64 emulators allow you to configure your playstation 2 pad to work well with them

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Samor said:
sonic adventure was very playable with keyboard for me, but sonic heroes is a bit troublesome with all the different kinds of buttons.
Still planning to get the PC version of that one though, since the PS2 version is considered inferior.
I don't know... some stuff felt a bit messy to perform, like the aiming at multiple targets during Tails' and Gammas' stages... additionally I didn't find comfortable gliding with Knuckles... then again, maybe I'm just being too picky.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
NASCAR Racing 4 for PC was surprisingly playable with a keyboard. Back when I played online regularly, I kept pace with people using gamepads and wheels and occasionally I won but that was mostly due to wrecks and whatnot :p. Nowadays I use a gamepad for my racing games :).

G

·
Kaiser Sigma said:
I don't know... some stuff felt a bit messy to perform, like the aiming at multiple targets during Tails' and Gammas' stages... additionally I didn't find comfortable gliding with Knuckles... then again, maybe I'm just being too picky.
I'm actually better with the keyboard (as compared to the DC version), even though it played less smooth (digital instead of analog).

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Other than the few games that don't support gameapds, I find most PC games are better to play with a keyboard. There are the few games that are better with a gamepad, but every one that I use a gamepad for on the pc accepts a gamepas (who would have thought?!) :p

I mostly play shooters and action games which I prefer a keyboard for. The only other PC games I play would be rracing games which all support gamepads.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
for that kind of problem i use JoyToKey it works as a keyboard emulator for joysticks.
you may give it a try.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts