Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of setting up a separate drive with DX8, and 4.xx drivers for my Ti4200.

Would I see a performance increase at all when running DX7/8-based PC games and emu's?

I haven't used DX8 since DX9 came out, but I seem to remember better performance in certain DX8 games like Warcraft 3 and GTA3 when I was using DX8.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Wrong forum, should be in software discussion. Also, DirectX should be backward compatible and should be faster since it is newer. Of course, when it comes to Microsoft, regular logic needn't neccesarily apply.

Having a seperate Windows install seems rather drastic. Perhaps re-tuning your existing installation will bring back the performace you may have had before.

·
Registered
780 Posts
While I must say I dont really like using the new drivers, I use them for the sake of compatiblity. GTA3 has always ran as smooth as butter on my rig, but I dont have Warcraft. If your using AA/AF then turning that off will help some. I rarely use AA since its compatiblity seems to be broken in some of my games (Jedi Academy, Battlefield 1942, and GTA VC. I know AF is supposed to improve image quality, but never, in the time I have had my Ti 4200, have I ever turned it on in a game and seen a difference. Jedi Academy uses it and I have maxed it out before and not seen a difference. Also another thing to try is to set the card to the high performance setting.

·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, it might just be the stuff I'm running in the background then. I've gotten a bit lazy about killing background apps. I usually only run with about 80-85% of my RAM free nowadays, versus 90% a couple years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts