Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conservative Bible Project - Conservapedia

Has anyone seen this? Apparently Conservapedia is calling for a "Conservative Bible Project" where all so-called liberal biases are removed from the bible (using KJV as the source).

I especially like point #7:

Express Free Market Parables; explaining the numerous economic parables with their full free-market meaning

I guess in this version of the bible Jesus only cures those people on private health care:rolleyes:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Conservapedia is some kind of big fat joke. How can anyone actually take such projects seriously?

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Religion is some kind of big fat joke.
Fixed.

This is what all religions do, just more subtle

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Hmm, I'd be curious how the story of the rich man and Lazarus gets edited, or the man with the grain building a warehouse and dying that night, or the parable about if you have 2 cloaks and someone has none give him one. Maybe the story about driving the money changers out of the church might have to go as well?

The only thing I could say in their defense is Jesus never said the government should redistribute other people's wealth, but Jesus expected His own people to do it of their own volition...

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Fixed.

This is what all religions do, just more subtle

It is highly disrespectful that Demigod is starting a topic to talk about things with respect and that you intend on starting a flamewar. No matter what your stance is on religion, this is bin material that I do not want to see in here. Criticism, sure, he expresses it as well, but I think everyone here is well aware of where the lines are drawn.

So let me make this clear, anyone trying to disrupt this thread will find themselves with an infraction right away.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Burn it anyway!

Religion topics do not belong on an emulation forum. keep them for religion forums.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I would say most people already see in religious tomes what they want to see. It is almost impossible to have an unbiased opinion regarding religion or religious paraphernalia, but constructing religious books to push an agenda seems blasphemous...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
that was my point.

Religion has become a corporate sellout.
nuff said.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
yep. gotta read between the letters and the lines :D

...the catholic church makes billions every year.... no joke.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Got some comments to the 10 "commandments".

Framework against Liberal Bias: providing a strong framework that enables a thought-for-thought translation without corruption by liberal bias
It should be without bias from any side.

Not Dumbed Down: not dumbing down the reading level, or diluting the intellectual force and logic of Christianity; the NIV is written at only the 7th grade level
This point I liked.
But logic in religion? You gotta be kidding me...

Utilize Powerful Conservative Terms: using powerful new conservative terms to capture better the original intent; Defective translations use the word "comrade" three times as often as "volunteer"; similarly, updating words that have a change in meaning, such as "word", "peace", and "miracle".
This is sort of important to make a proper translation of the text, is it not?

Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities; prefer concise, consistent use of the word "Lord" rather than "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" or "Lord God."
I've always found it better to be concise rather than talk a lot of bull**** that has nothing to do with what you're trying to say.
When I read books, I want conciseness.
If I want people talking out of their arse, I'll go listen to some politicians. It's their job.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is highly disrespectful that Demigod is starting a topic to talk about things with respect and that you intend on starting a flamewar. No matter what your stance is on religion, this is bin material that I do not want to see in here. Criticism, sure, he expresses it as well, but I think everyone here is well aware of where the lines are drawn.
Yeah, I never intended this to attract such comments - this topic is actually more about politics than religion. I initially noticed it on a political blog and thought it would be interesting to share.

It should be without bias from any side.
Conservapedia seems to have this fascination with "liberal bias". They seem to see it everywhere (basically anything they disagree with is due to "liberal bias"). I've known about the site for a while (you should check out their articles on evolution and Einstein's theory of relativity) but I never thought they'd go so low as to actually try to remake the bible. I think they're a primary example why religion and politics should always be separate (eventually politics will corrupt religion).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
more like religion corrupts politics. which is the more worrying case since politics effects those on a mass scale, while religion can be isolated.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
In that case it's not really religion's particular fault, that's when happens when any kind of interest group gets too powerful and too influential in the way a country's politics work. It can happen with religion, but it can happen all the same with a big corporation with powerful lobbying groups that meddle too much with politics.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
People who make up religion are flawed, even Jesus' disciples had their weaknesses, but the ideals Jesus Christ lived, died, and was resurrected for, are flawless. The problem with Christianity isn't Jesus Christ's beliefs, but the fact that Christians fail at living by and supporting those beliefs properly.

Christianity is about loving your brothers and sisters to the point you'll die for them, not that your going to force your religious laws onto everyone.

·
Tushy :3
5,162 Posts
Um...HELLO! I thought we were supposed to be talking about this strange project that people are doing. Not starting a flamewar about religion. Once again, this is why I am starting to loathe coming here. All the big boys that say they're adults because they have reached an age, act like children and don't have enough room in their heads to have another opinion. This is disgusting. Stop saying that your opinion is the only right one and then trying to make a war out of it because you're too close minded and proud to let anyone else have an opinion that is different from yours.

I'm interested to see what these people will do with the Bible. I personally prefer the King James version and I don't see why people would want to take some parts of the Bible out of it to not offend people. I want to see how these people will pull it off and what parts will be changed/removed.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.