Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the problem, my connection keeps freezing after it is connected for a certain time, about 15~30minutes. It just freezed and no internet activity can be done, but when I checked its connection status, it is still sending and receiving bytes. I have tried to disconnect and reconnect my ADSL connection but no help at all, I have to reboot my computer each time it freezes in order to get my internet working again. Anyone have a clue on what went wrong? Thanks in advance.

·
Perpetual Dualism
457 Posts
In the Proprieties of your network card or PCI card or whatever you are using to be able to connect to the internet

set Checksum Offload to "Disabled"

also if you are using a router set Max Idle Time to maximum possible, I set it to 999 Minutes

·
Premium Member
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, as long as I don't use Bitcomet, everything is alright, I haven't tried another client yet and I am not sure if they will cause this too. I have been using Bitcomet for years but only got this problem recently. :(

Kazuya Mishima: Running Bitcomet again, I will try that if it happens again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to get this problem a while back. It used to crash/freeze when I used bittorrent programs. The problem is most likely with your internet drivers. If you can update your driver, it may fix the problem. Also, you should try older drivers, to see if they fix it.

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
It seems, particularly with programs that connect to a lot of sources, that peer 2 peer can hog your connection and render it useless while the program is downloading. Try using a program called NetLimiter to cap the programs at 0 or 1 and see if it still happens. Then after that try relaxing the cap until you reach a fair share between your surfing needs and your downloading programs.

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Downloading new drivers is the most generic tech support anyone can give you... and it usually never fixes anything. In fact if a tech support guy tells me to download new drivers I tell him to shove it and get a new job :p.

·
Premium Member
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Captain said:
How old is your computer? I seem to remember something about bittorrent killing old network cards because it used so many connections. Why don't you try switching out your network card for another one.
Hmm, it is a new rig. I am using Nforce4's on-board network card now, would it be better if I get a PCI one instead?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Kellicros said:
Hmm, it is a new rig. I am using Nforce4's on-board network card now, would it be better if I get a PCI one instead?
The fact that you have to restart your computer every time this happens made me think of the network card issue. If you have a network card in another rig of yours, try that. Otherwise, it might be worthwhile buying a cheap pci card. But don't blame me if this doesn't work. I only heard of this problem (never experienced it myself), and it only pertained to very old network cards that couldn't handle the large amount of connections.

I would suggest reinstalling windows first before you buy anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.