Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some way to play PS2 on the monitor? Has anyone tried it? I was looking around at VGA boxes but i dont know whats good and they are damn expensive. So if u know about a good VGA box or another method of hooking up PS2 to the monitor please help.

Also i was looking at this PS-PC USB adapter has anyone tried it? I read the reviews and they are all positive, but just want to hear some more.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You can also use something called "TV card" for computers. Once installed, you can watch TV, play console games, record programs, etc. on your computer. The picture quality is nowhere as good as VGA boxes though. Using s-video cable and dscaler (a software) can improve the picture quality somewhat.

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
I own the adapter, it works great, rumble is fine, and dance pad support as well.

About the vga boxes makes sure you buy the specific PS2 ones not the universal vga box, the universal tends to give crappy result.

If you want cheap & acceptible result you can always buy an internal tv tuner & s-video cable to hook your PS2 up, just make sure you use Dscaler for the software ;)

edit: ah stilz beat me to it...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>Is there some way to play PS2 on the monitor? Has anyone tried it? I was looking around at VGA boxes but i dont know whats good and they are damn expensive.

Specific PS2 ones are good as they tend to use S-Video or RGB. I have the XVGA adaptor from lik-sang and the PS2 specic S-video based one. The PS2 specific one give better quality, but there isn't a huge amount in it. Also the quality on a VGA box and half-decent monitor whoops TVs of a similar size.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a capture card with component inputs. Hooked my PS2 with some Monster Component Cables [the mark-up on these items is ungodly, my employee discount got me half-off]. Run games through Dscaler4. Kicks all sorts of ass. So much better than a VGA box. Expensive though.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
As for PSX - PC adapter - I'm using one, it works flawless so get one :thumb:

As for PS2 on pc monitor, I'm using my winfast tv2000xp deluxe to which I connect my Ps2 witch S-video cable, Dscaller + pixel width set to 768 + sometimes filter 'sharpen' roX (I can post some screen later, when I'll be home, if you want :) )

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the feedback. About the usb adapter it supports Playstation2 Dual Shock2 controllers right (Kaneda you put PSX??).

About the PS2->PC i was also looking at that XVGA box on lik-sang, and the price is also reasonable. I will also look more into Dscaler and see if that would work better. Thx alot for the help guys.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
xRockx said:
Appreciate the feedback. About the usb adapter it supports Playstation2 Dual Shock2 controllers right (Kaneda you put PSX??).
I've got Dual Shock and Dual Shock 2 at home, they both work fine on my usb adapter :)

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
I have my Playstation 2 and Gamecube connected to my PC. I have a TV card and a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. My PS2 is connected via S-Video to the TV card, and i use an Optical cable for the audio.

And for anyone here looking for a recommended PS2 controller adapter, the Tigergame SuperJoy Box gets my vote. I use it in ePSXe, ZSNES, Chankast and PS2 ports to the PC such as Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance.

For the PS2 controller adapters I DON'T recommend. The EMS2 has more issues than a Linkin Park fan.

And I use ChrisTV as a TV software. It's recommended.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is it true if we are using capture card & Dscaler, CPU power will play a significant role? I heard there will be some latency when playing intensive games.

So this means my aging Celeron 1Ghz is definitely out of question if I am to use capture card to play my PS2 then?

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
It surely depends on your processor, on my Athlon XP 1800+ Dscaler with few filters and few programs running in the background I've no problems with picture, I can also record movies without any lagg :) but athlon isn't celeron...

·
Registered
52 Posts
So at least a processor like AMD Athlon XP would do huh? Sempron is almost equivalent to Celeron so that's a no-no right?

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
little advice: just try it, don't be scared it won't hurt your pc ;) I didn't say that 1ghz celeron won't handle it... it's just that athlons have much better performance than celerons, as I said above, give it a try, and you'll see :) DScaler is for free so there won't be problem with money, also if you have S-Video cable for PS2 then good for you, image is much better than on composite or antenna input (don't even dare to try that last one ;) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts