Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went mad searching for the best solution to hook my PS2 up to my LCD monitor using component av cables and finally I can make a conclusion based on all my hard work behind it.

Don't go for cheap VGA boxes, you will compromise with quality.
If you want to make one-time investment and want to have the best one, simply go for the XCM Mega Cool VGA Box from team xcm.

The cheapest XCM mega cool vga box is available at play-asia

I was tempted to order this after looking at this youtube vid:
YouTube - XCM 1080p Mega-Cool VGA Box

If anyone buys this product, please let the reviews come so that others are guided before buying this product. Thanks.
Mine will arrive as soon as my xcm vga box arrives...lol

· Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
So much effort to try to camoflage advertisement spam as legit posts. He even posts in the proper forum.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
what is dat supposed to mean?

box what? - I simply used an s-video cable and the s-video-in on my monitor... =P
But here's my problem.
I don't have an S-video input on my lcd monitor, nor do I have the s-video cable for ps2, though I can buy one. But s-video input is something I am not looking for. Coz I know, component gives the best quality and that's why the vga box.

So much effort to try to camoflage advertisement spam as legit posts. He even posts in the proper forum.
I am having no intention to spam this forum.
I myself hate such people who love spamming their s**t around.

I put that link over there coz I got it is the cheapest over there compared to any other website on the world wide web.(except renchi.com where it is of 74 dollars but including shipping it goes as high as 82 dollars.)

I hope I make some sense and compel you to think with the poster's state of mind rather than thinking from a moderator or admin's state of mind which is not needed in all circumstances.

lol I thought this guy was actually serious
Oh yes, I am hell serious!
I have searched the forums, blogs, but could find very little help regarding this vga box or any other.
Was about to order the High Box, but then got to know from one very wonderful reviewer that it compromises with quality, though being cheapest of all.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Because the nature of your post is advertisement, which is... frowned upon here.

We just don't do advertisements, which includes... posting a sales pitch (features and benefits), posting prices, posting a short opinionated review of the product, and especially a link to buy the product.

From the looks of it, you don't seem to do it intentionally, but I would still say it's... advertising the XCM box.

On the topic of the issue, for $80, I'd say you are better off selling your old LCD and use the remaining + that $80 to get a LCD that has component input. Or alternatively, an internal TV card would be cheaper and would also allow you to record gameplay videos on your computer should the desire to do so arise. Based on your location, maybe a new LCD would be steeper, but I don't assume a TV card would be... that complicated?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because the nature of your post is advertisement, which is... frowned upon here.

We just don't do advertisements, which includes... posting a sales pitch (features and benefits), posting prices, posting a short opinionated review of the product, and especially a link to buy the product.

From the looks of it, you don't seem to do it intentionally, but I would still say it's... advertising the XCM box.

On the topic of the issue, for $80, I'd say you are better off selling your old LCD and use the remaining + that $80 to get a LCD that has component input. Or alternatively, an internal TV card would be cheaper and would also allow you to record gameplay videos on your computer should the desire to do so arise. Based on your location, maybe a new LCD would be steeper, but I don't assume a TV card would be... that complicated?
Hmm...advertising the XCM box...I am sorry I wasn't aware that doing this could be such big a crime. But I was in no way advertising that box!
For God' sake, I don't even have it with me right now.
I simply started this thread so that people who already have it, or who buy it, may share their views on it. Because I want to have it too.

My LCD is brand new. Got it last month. its an acer x193hq with native resolution of 1366 x 768 which is a weird one and that's why I am having doubts regarding using any vga box in the market, coz none of them have this resolution listed into their compatibility list. Well XCM was having one 1280 x 720 resolution listed which my monitor supports. So I thought it would be the best choice.

And I am really not aware of any monitor that has component inputs. If at all they do exist, I know they'll cost me fortune.

Internal TV CARD!!!
Man O Man...it just S**KS big time!!!
Have you ever tried it? you will experience at least 2 to 3 secs of lag between each frame.
External TV Card...ok good frame rate but crappy quality. And doesn't have any component inputs too, nor do I think the internal ones have.

Any more suggestions?

There is a big difference between a TV Box and a VGA Box.
I have already tried a TV Box and played my PS2 on it. It is just not worth it.
At least that youtube video gives me some sort of relief that it will look good on this XCM thing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OP just reeked of spam. If it wasn't then I apologize. Odd that it's your first post though.
It's fine. No probs. You were not aware. Not your mistake.:)

Nope...not the emulator that you play on the PC.
But I am talking about playing PS2 on an LCD Monitor with the help of component av cables to get the best quality picture. 480p I am not sure.
But will be much better compared to the picture that you have using the oldschool composite av cables.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
It doesn't look so bad if the VGA box happens to be hardware scaler.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
So on a small sized LCD monitors it will look perfect? (Assuming we talk about a real PS2 connecting to an LCD monitor)
It will help cover up all the flaws. From my experience Dreamcast can be already rather rough to the eyes when put on VGA, especially on my 24" PC monitor. If a direct progressive image if passed on the image is simply too clear and exposes the graphical shortcomings much more than a TV.

Knowing Playstation 2, the jaggies will be even more apparent on a monitor, and the low resolution textures will be given even better exposure. This is exactly why emulation gives such a huge improvement in image quality over this method.

So also on small size monitors you will see the same, but it won't be as exposed as when the same image is blown up twice on a larger monitor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.