Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm guessing this has been done to death, but what the hell, I'm completely new to the whole PSX emulation thing.

I got my hands on Final Fantasy Chronicles {basically FF4 and CC, each on their respective disks}, but I can't get them to run well, let's call it properly. I'm hitting the ePSXe requirements: a 700-odd Mhz CPU, a dinky but I believe adequate Voodoo 2 card and for what it's worth, a Rage 128 stuck into the graphics card.

Problem is, I can't get either game to run both audio and video smoothly... actually, I can't get the audio to run smoothly period but, then again, that's probably because I haven't found a way to turn the video off.

Can anyone tell me how to set the audiovideo configuration so on the overall those two games will be genrally playable? I'm ready to forego any fancy stuff, or in fact sacrifive the overall video quality for a little smoothness. I've toyed around with any possible combination that looked like it made any sense {downloaded every plugin on the site} and, feeling desperate I even followed the step-by-step guide on this site. No luck.

Can anyone help? Better yet, can anyone help and actually do so? :D

Quinch

PS: Oh, if it matters any, I'm running beta W98 {long story, thank got it's only temporary} with DirectX 8 installed.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Well, I own a voodoo2 and I have a worse cpu than yours(Pentium II 400). I run all my games(Chrono Cross and X-Men Mutant Academy) with almost full speed(55-60fps). Make sure that you're using Lewpy's Glide for your voodoo2. For sound, I use Iori's because it sounds the best in my pc. Making an ISO can speed up a LOT the game.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
an ISO is a copy of a CD on your harddrive. The games will run faster because your HD can abe accessed faster than a CDrom. Use programs like CDRwin or ISObuster to make the ISO. This will make sound run smoother and speed up the frame rate of the graphics.
NOTE: an ISO can take up to 700+ Mb of HD space.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CT is playing really smoothly now. Thank you, Zephon, and Adair for the ISO information. I have one last question, though; I still can't get the sound in the intro sequence be contiunous. Basically, it's like I have choice ranging between crystal clear music with major {albeit regular though it's no comfort} gaps in it, or semi-steady music that sounds like it's in constant "triller" mode {i.e. lot shorter gaps, but a dozen times more frequent, making the whole thing sound like musical gargling} With the Iago plugin, the one I chose to use {thanks again, Zephon} it is the latter. Is it actually possible to configure it, as whenever I click on it all I get is the message with the string it added to the registry?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, it is very possible to configure Iori's plugin. You hit Config in epsxe main menu, then pick Sound. Make sure Iori's plugin is listed in the editbox, then hit config again. You should see a screen that will let you customize iori's plugin.
Try changing the buffer sizes until you get good sound.... You might want to download it again, and then move it into the plugins directory, if it's acting weird, and not letting you into the configuration. :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Could you have somehow gotten an old version of Iori's SPU?
The older versions didn't have a configure window. I'm attaching the latest version here for you. If you want an easy configuration you can set the latest Iori's SPU to show a "realtime config window" which lets you change setting while you play.
[NOTE] you can only play in windowed mode while that option is active so find a good setting, then deactivate it to play normally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
{deep sigh} Thanks for the link, Asfaloth... yes, it does seem I downloaded an older version before.

Still no luck, though... I've even tried turning up the buffers all the way up to 999...I figured it had to work, so I'd just turn them down gradually until it synched with video.

Surprise, surprise.... even then it flickered. :rockets:

I'm really at a loss now... could it be a problem with my sound card? {I have an AWE64} I've managed to get the intro sequence in FF4 run all right with the Core plugin {on the other hand, that's the only thing that does run will with it} but on CT it sounds quite literally like a chewed-up audio tape. I thought it might be a compatibility problem, but if others can run it properly, there's no reason why I couldn't. Oh, and in FF4.... the sound breaks up in the exactly same manner during the battles when the music {presumably} is continuously loaded from the CD. It's something I can easily live with, but this tidbit of info might still be useful....

Additional: As a last ditch resort, is there a way to view the movies off the computer?
Additional offtopic: Hey, isn't that an X-COM Gauss rifle? And Asfaloth, where'd ya get that shaded Mog icon? I've only got a scan of Dis's original thing, it's funny seeing it here...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Doh! I always do that. I say I'm going to attach a file and then by the time I finish my post I've forgotten about attaching it.:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts