Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Given that I'm relatively new to the scene (the PSX emu scene, at least) I'd hope you'll forgive my ignorance, but I thought I'd voice an idea I'd had.

Wouldn't a database of correct configurations (sorted by gfx card and/or DX version) for different PSX games be a helpful utility? It would seem that people are constantly calling upon the board to help in game configuration (I myself am amongst them). Instead of posting the same info several times, maybe there could be a central site/utility to help in such a task? I realize that there'll always be people that don't, in fact, "readme" or consult an FAQ, but I think that's true of just about any sort of software.

Better still, I think, would be a utlity that knows of such a site and could get the information at run-time (sort of like how FreeDB works with audio CDs). I know that ePSXeCutor has a feature that lets you launch with different options enabled, does it have a feature like this already? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi dude,

Well U see, U ve forgotten something important:

Do U think that people have the same computer?
No it s impossible.That s why there are many solutions for one problem.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
there is a compatability listing that is run through user input..
but then again, a lot of those entries are complete bs, so i wont post the link. anyone else can, but im just lazy..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>Do U think that people have the same computer?
Well, as I said, configurations could be sorted by the type of hardware. If you have a Geforce 2 and are using Pete's D3D, use config [x], if you have a Voodoo 3, use config [y]. If no accelerated card is present, use the software renderer and try to enable some speed inprovements.

Given, that's a rather contrived example, but I'm sure you can see what sort of structure I'm thinking of, a basic decision list/tree style thing, probably with the option to override the default if your card isn't in the database.

I didn't think it to be easily implemented, but I think it's a sound concept. Of course, I dunno.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>a lot of those entries are complete bs
That's one of the biggest problems I can see with such a utility. While it (one again) might not be easily implemented, perhaps it could have a rating system, so to speak, sort of like moderation on Kuro5hin or Slashdot. If a config isn't at all worthwhile, it could be rated down. Every so often the lowest rated configs are either deleted or (better yet) put into a "Use At Your Own Risk" listing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>(Sorry It seems that I ven t understood ur previous sentence
Please don't be sorry, I probably should have explained myself better. I hope I didn't come across as being angry or anything, as that wasn't my intent.

As I've said, there's nothing to say that it wouldn't be a very difficult thing to work out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts