Next Generation Emulation banner

Computer won't boot, recovery disk doesn't work

23K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  S.T.A.R.S. 
#1 ·
(The problem started after installing a program so I'm posting it here.)

Like the title says, my computer no longer boots and the recovery disc I ordered from Toshiba (and used before to recover my system) doesn't work--some message about the disc not being supported or something; I can't remember what it said.

It started when I installed the RollBack Rx recovery software. I didn't turn off Windows System Restore and installed it in my User folder--bad ideas on my part, apparently. When I had to restart to finish the installation, first I got a BSOD, then I ended up in Startup Repair (which did nothing), and finally I get to the RollBack Rx menu. I thought its "Uninstall" option meant uninstalling the program; I clicked on it and got to a screen with the two "snapshots" it had taken. I uninstalled to the earliest snapshot (at installation) and exited the program.

That led me to where I am now. I can try to boot from the disk drive with the recovery disc and get to a screen of startup options once in a while--Safe Mode and the other usual options that come in Windows--but that leads to the same message as running it normally.

Does anyone know of anything I can do about this? Or am I just screwed?

See less See more
#27 ·
BartPE is just a PE built from XP (so you do need XP disks and a license for it.)

It can access any version of the NTFS that XP can (of which xp can access the Vista/Win7 partitions.)

#28 ·
Make the USB as MS-DOS startup disk and use MS-DOS version 6.22.With that version you can copy your entire HARD DISK DRIVE on some other hard disk drive or USB stick by just few clicks on the keyboard :)
That process will take few hours,but you just sit back and relax while MS-DOS 6.22 is doing that ;)

#29 ·
AGAIN, ARE YOU INSANE.

DOS DOES RAW FILE COPY, MEANING THERES NO USAGE OF UDMA, it would take hours to copy it all.

Secondly.

DOS CANNOT READ NTFS PARTITIONS,

#30 ·
@Squall: Then how the heck can I use BartPE if I don't HAVE XP???

Also, if DOS can't read NTFS partitions, then that's a no-go for me, as well.

Anyway, those points are moot, right now. I just got off the phone with Toshiba, and I was told that the cause of this was a virus. (Isn't it always? :p) So, I'm running Toshiba's Recovery Wizard to restore the thing back to factory settings. Of course, I was able to backup everything that I wanted to keep, first.

...Vista sure can be a ***** sometimes, you know? XD

#31 · (Edited)
Yea well the bad news for MS-DOS is that it cannot read NTFS file system partitions...that's true.Well my file system on my laptop is FAT32 so I don't have any problems by using the MS-DOS.Anyway there are many other ways to save your data in the future.You can go into the safe mode and try to copy files from there on another HDD,or if that doesn't work,you can always go into the safe mode with command prompt.It saved me for a couple of times 1 year ago:D
System restore usually won't help here,but you can always feel free to try it out.Anyway the next time you install windows,why not format your HDD into a FAT32 file system.Ok ok I know what you are all thinking now.FAT32 sucks and NTFS rocks.Well each one has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
NTFS advantages:
-allows access local to w2k w2k3 XP win NT4 with SP4 or later may get
access for some file
-maximum size of partition is 2 TB or more
-maximum file size is upto 16 TB
-file and folder encryption is possible only in NTFS
-WinRAR can compress data larger then 4 GB

NTFS disadvantages:
-MS-DOS DOES NOT WORK UNDER THIS FILE SYSTEM AND THAT SUCKS
ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU NEED TO BACK UP YOUR DATA AND YOU CANNOT
GO INTO WINDOWS ON ANY POSSIBLE WAY:dead:
-who the hell needs HDD larger then 2 TB lol:dead:
-why would anyone have ONE SINGLE file of 16 TB in size:dead:

FAT32 advantages:
-FAT32 allows access to win 95 98 win millenium win2k xp on local
partition:)
-maximum size of partition is upto 2 TB what is EVEN TOO MUCH for a
home user.Who the hell needs that big partition anyway:dead:
-maximum file size is upto 4 GB what is pretty enough if you ask me
-MS-DOS WORKS UNDER THIS FILE SYSTEM AND YOU ARE ALWAYS
ABLE TO SAVE YOUR FILES NO MATTER HOW MANY VIRUSES YOU
HAVE:wub:This is VERY USEFUL when you cannot go into Windows on
ANY possible way;)

FAT32 disadvantages:
-file and folder encryption is not possible.Ok so what?If you REALLY need
it,you can always encrypt the files on some other computer that uses
the NTFS file system...

I am using FAT32 file system already for many years and I never got any
complains except once when I saw I can't compress files larger then 4 GB with WinRar:rolleyes:But you can always compress them few by few,instead ALL files at once:D
I would format the HDD and make it to be the FAT32 file system and then install Windows on it if I were you.Here is one more reason WHY:
Let's say that you must reinstall Windows.You have saved ALL the data you need,BUT ALL the SETTINGS in windows and programs that you have adjusted will of course be lost.You want to copy them too then right?
Well....the settings are usually saved into the Windows registry.The Windows registry files in XP,Vista and Windows 7 are located at
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\config"
Now...the problem is that you cannot just copy these registry files like it was in Windows 98 and earlier.In XP and newer you must mess with the registry and lose many nerves to save the entire registry.It would be much simpler if you can just copy the registry files right?Well you can copy them ALL with no problems on your USB stick through the MS-DOS.And then reinstall windows,put your programs back and through the MS-DOS copy those registry files back on the "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config"
and ALL the settings will be back just like you want it.Just like it was before...
So again I am saying...this CANNOT be done if you have NTFS file system.You MUST have FAT32 file system to do this.
OK Windows XP has the Files and SETTINGS transfer wizard that's true,BUT what if you can't go into Windows???.....You can't go into Windows and you are using NTFS.....then you are screwed.BUT if you have FAT32,you can ALWAYS copy the registry files through the MS-DOS.

After all,nothing is not perfect.Neither FAT32 or NTFS file system.But I would put FAT32 file system if I were you!Then it's a HUGE chance to save your files then if you have NTFS file system.
NTFS is newer and better in some things,but then again FAT32 can use MS-DOS to save ANY of the files.Here is one more reason why to use FAT32 instead of the NTFS:
Let's say that you have scanned your computer for viruses...and one virus has been found.Antivirus reported you the name and the location of that virus,BUT he cannot delete it because it's being used by the windows operating system.You cannot EVEN delete it through the SAFE MODE or through the SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT.What now?!?!?!
The only way is to format the partition.OR....or you can go into the MS-DOS and simply delete the virus from there:)

Also FAT32 works faster then the NTFS.

Anyway it's your choice will you use FAT32 or NTFS file system.I would use FAT32 file system if I were you:thumb:

#32 ·
stop giving crap advice.

FAT32 is an insecure, and non fault tolerant file system.

#34 ·
its also slower to chkdsk, defrag, move files around on and boot to.

#35 ·
CHKDSK usually takes a long period so who cares lol.Just leave it over night ^^
Anyway boot is faster in FAT32 because it's structure is simpler then the NTFS.For those who are using the NTFS,you can copy ANY file from your HDD by using the XP CD-ROM.Just boot to the CD and there you will have a recovery console with which you can do a lot to save your data in the case you can't go into windows.Command for copying files is the same as for the MS-DOS.

Ohh man I like this command line things.They always save everything when it's neccessary...:D
You can delete ANY virus with these things.Who the hell needs Norton then:dead: LoL...
If you ask me,the MS-DOS and COMMAND PROMPT from the XP CD-ROM is the best antivirus lol xD

#37 ·
Anyway boot is faster in FAT32 because it's structure is simpler then the NTFS.

You need to to stop talking now. Seriously. Bootup on Fat32 is far slower since its an unindexed file system. Where as NTFS file locations are indexed in the MFT for fast access.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.