Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Numbers Guy
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(The problem started after installing a program so I'm posting it here.)

Like the title says, my computer no longer boots and the recovery disc I ordered from Toshiba (and used before to recover my system) doesn't work--some message about the disc not being supported or something; I can't remember what it said.

It started when I installed the RollBack Rx recovery software. I didn't turn off Windows System Restore and installed it in my User folder--bad ideas on my part, apparently. When I had to restart to finish the installation, first I got a BSOD, then I ended up in Startup Repair (which did nothing), and finally I get to the RollBack Rx menu. I thought its "Uninstall" option meant uninstalling the program; I clicked on it and got to a screen with the two "snapshots" it had taken. I uninstalled to the earliest snapshot (at installation) and exited the program.

That led me to where I am now. I can try to boot from the disk drive with the recovery disc and get to a screen of startup options once in a while--Safe Mode and the other usual options that come in Windows--but that leads to the same message as running it normally.

Does anyone know of anything I can do about this? Or am I just screwed?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Where did you buy your laptop from?

For some reason, Toshiba laptops have problems with recovery discs depending on where you purchased it.

Check this out. One of the guys in this forum suggest the problem lies with the CD/DVD drive and using an external drive *may* fix it.

·
Numbers Guy
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the laptop from Best Buy over a year ago. I don't see how that would have anything to do with this since the recovery disc worked the last time I had a problem.

As for an external DVD drive, I can't afford to buy one, at the moment. I wonder if it would help, though. Let me look again to see what happens when I use the recovery disc...

First off, when I get the error saying that Windows can't boot from the HDD, here's part of that message:

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

When the disc tries to boot, I end up at this message:

Error

This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs.

You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these discs.

???

·
Numbers Guy
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No hardware changes whatsoever.

At least I can get to the BIOS just fine...

>_<

EDIT: This is not good. I've been paying attention to what happens in the command prompt when I run the disc before the error message appears. Before the prompt closes, the last thing it pops out is this:

USER PARTITION NOT FOUND

Oh s***.

·
Numbers Guy
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SIGNIFICANT UPDATE (I believe that this warrants a double-post. If not, then I apologize in advance.)

I just got off the phone with Toshiba Tech Support. Apparently the recovery discs are specific to each LAPTOP (not each model), and I was using the wrong disc. I'm getting a different recovery disc shipped to me that should arrive in 5-7 business days--and because I once ordered a recovery disc through Toshiba, it's free!

I hope that works...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
recovery disks suck.

Download Vista off the net, call MSFT and convert the product ID on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop to a CD Key. Install. Profit.

·
Numbers Guy
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
recovery disks suck.

So true...

Download Vista off the net, call MSFT and convert the product ID on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop to a CD Key. Install. Profit.
Download what, exactly? I'm having to post from my Wii because of this crap; my options are somewhat limited. >_<

Torrrent a vista install disk, run repair and if that doesn't work; fix the bootloader from the recovery console(google).
See above. Torrents are an absolute no-go. I don't have another comp I could use for that.

And... recovery console? Can't say I've heard the term before. I'll make sure to Google it after this.

EDIT: Vista has no recovery console... just recovery tools. And what good are they if you can't always access them when you need them? @[email protected]

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Download what, exactly? I'm having to post from my Wii because of this crap; my options are somewhat limited. >_<

See above. Torrents are an absolute no-go. I don't have another comp I could use for that.

And... recovery console? Can't say I've heard the term before. I'll make sure to Google it after this.

EDIT: Vista has no recovery console... just recovery tools. And what good are they if you can't always access them when you need them? @[email protected]
From the disk, there's a repair option on the Vista installation disk that will scan for errors in the windows partition.

·
Registered
593 Posts
CardsOfTheHeart which version of Vista operating system are you using?
And are you willing to lose the data and reinstall the entire operating system or you want to keep the files on you hard disk drive?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
exactly

Recovery disks usually completely nuke the drive.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Toshiba is right about the recovery discs. Some recovery discs have LOTS of proprietary software ondisc just to make it work

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Which is what happened to me 0/99 times I've used a recovery disk. If the vista install disk can fix your vista partition, it will. If it can't, it will give you the option of reformatting.
Stop posting, you don't know jack about recovery disks.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Stop posting, you don't know jack about recovery disks.
I know what my disk does, Squall. Not to mention the fact that you don't like me which just adds to the bull****. I also know it's a standard Vista installation disk and I know how I've fixed my Vista partition with it many times without completely wiping the drive. Your ego and post-count isn't going to make fiction fact and the disk suddenly work differently for me or anyone else.

·
Numbers Guy
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everyone's probably forgotten about this by now, but here's an update to provide closure to this:

I got my replacement recovery discs today (yeah, a 2-disc set). I was able to access Startup Repair and that fixed it! Thank God I didn't have to nuke the drive...

Apparently I did get the wrong disc the first time. Then again, "For distribution only with a new HP or Compaq, 32-Bit notebook PC" should have been a giveaway. XD Still doesn't explain how I was able to use it before but not now... whatever.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts