Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was watching Family Guy on Hulu and browsing Digg, my computer made a static noise and froze. Within seconds the screen goes blank and the monitor power light starts blinking indicating it's standby mode. So I first tried shutting down the computer with my keyboard and got no responses so I finally shut it down by holding down the power button. Now when I turn on the computer, montior goes straight into standby mode and I don't hear the computer bootup pass POST. I also have performed a CMOS reset, booting comp without harddrive, reseating my RAM and GPU, and plugging my VGA into the motherboard instead of the GPU. I don't want to assume a short circuit of some sort / hardware failure or else it would be the end of the world for me right now because I just started school and taking more than my usual amount of courses. Thanks!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Dead CPU or Dead Memory.

pick one.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Swap out your old gpu and put in a temporary one and see if it boots up
Well I don't have an extra GPU laying around that's why I tried using my onboard video chip to achieve the same effect.

Dead CPU or Dead Memory.

pick one.
I thought with dead RAMs at least you could still see the POST process failing on the screen.

Dead CPU would make me happy and sad at the same time only because I'm still on a single core and my mobo supports dual cores. However it only supports AMD CPUs.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
No, Dead memory will fail post. you could get lucky and beepcode, or it can just not even reach that.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
Try removing all of your RAM then try starting your PC. If you get a series of beeps, it's probably for the 'No RAM Installed' error. This is a good thing since it means you computer isn't completely dead, but your RAM is.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try removing all of your RAM then try starting your PC. If you get a series of beeps, it's probably for the 'No RAM Installed' error. This is a good thing since it means you computer isn't completely dead, but your RAM is.
No dice. There wasn't any beeps. I also tried replacing the RAMs with my spare and that didn't work. One weird thing happened though was that during my testing, my monitor died on me. The power light on my monitor just shut off. Now I'm starting to be concerned if my power strip is failing and short circuiting my equipments. Last time I posted in hardware forum was about a short circuit I did on my motherboard when I hooked up my external drive the way, but that as more so human error than power strip problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts