Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few days I've had this problem where when my main computer is started up in windows and connected to the router every 20 minutes or so it will render the internet completely useless (for every computer on the network, not just mine). Reseting the D-Link modem fixes it, as does shutting down my computer, but I would like to figure out a way to have my computer running on the internet without having to reset it all the time (which makes downloading large non-resumable files an interesting game). I have a hunch there is a virus of sorts behind this but as of yet I have been unable to locate it with the aid of all the usual programs (don't bother suggesting Hijackthis, adaware, spybot, and the like). So before I consider a reformat do you guys out there have any idea how I might be able to tackle this?

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
at the uni im workign at weve started disabling "enable device to go into power saving mode" under the network card device properties, as staff members were experiencing simular problems, so thats one thing to check.

also disable proxy dns or dns cache on the router, our D-Link would go for a few days/weeks then itd need resetting as the dns doesnt flush and it chokes itself up, the only other thing you can try is getting a firmware update for the router, we had to do that as well for a very simular reason, plus the router kept freezing.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
If it's not limited to your computer, and it happens to all machines at once, I'd feel pretty safe thinking it's not a virus.

One thing I'd check is your DHCP settings in the router. Specifically, check lease times and renewals. Also, try manually configuring one machine to talk through the router and see if that works when the rest fail - if so, you can safely ignore DHCP as a possible issue.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Or, he infected the whole network with it. :lol:

It's odd, since from what I understand, his main computer disables internet in all the systems in the network after 20 minutes. One system shouldn't normally have that kind of ability/power no matter what setting, unless it itself was the routing system.

Check for malware. It's possible that you have a worm that attacks the router. This will effectively shut down the network. I've handled cases like this before, and yeah, we had to restart the router and the attacking system, until the worm starts up again.

An easy way to know is to grab TCPView or something similar from http://www.sysinternals.com and check for an inordinate amount of connections hammering the router.

·
Registered
378 Posts
our router was having similar kinds of problems because of a bad NIC. Try swapping out the NIC to see if that's causing the problems. If you can, use a crossover cable between the bad PC and good one and transfer a large file, ours was failing when I tried this.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
If it was knocking out the whole network, then how does resetting the router help? No, that symptom does not suggest to me that it's a virus / worm. Just sounds like either the router is failing or that it's misconfigured.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I fixed the problem! Turns out there was some sort of program doing it... I installed the latest Norton's Internet Security (2006) and it found there was some process running that was accessing ports (I was previously suspicious of this file, but when ever I checked it the folder it claimed to be wasn't there) so Norton asked to block it and I obviously chose to let it. In anycase, this phantom program is now under lock and key, guarded by my saviour Norton Internet Security (I really recommend it).

Thanks for the help guys :).

And if you're interested the program was called Aclegini.exe in a folder that didn't exist called Intrdock. Google turned up no results on both accounts.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
"Aclegini.exe" eh? Sounds like one of those randomly naming worms. Yep. your router got hammered.

Well, as much as I hate Symantec, and that TCPView-Process Explorer are cheaper, at least it got the job done. Congratulations. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.