Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I shut-down my PC, the OS turns off, the monitor goes blank, but all the components (CPU, GPU, HDs) continue to run at full speed indefinitely till I turn it off from the main switch. The strange thing is that when I restart, everything does turn off before restarting momentarily (like it should) and when I hibernate, again everything goes as it should and the various components turn off.

This problem started appearing the very moment I removed my previous GPU (an HD2400 Pro) a few days ago. I encountered this problem during the transition period when I was using the built-in Intel GMA 3000 and it continues to persist with my current CPU as well.

It really doesn't bother me, I hibernate my PC every night and restart if things start to get messed up, but it would still be nice to know why this is happening. I'm guessing it's an issue with the BIOS settings, but I have no clue what.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
reseat everything in the computer.
including the cpu.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already did that when we had the PSU changed at the store. Dismantled and reinserted everything for cleaning purposes.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
maybe, but it helps to go through everything yourself. make sure theres no dust (even the tiniest amount can screw up the signal to the APM controls)

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea where these controls are located on the board so I can just brush up on that part.

It isn't worth the hassle if it involves reseating everything, since even then there's no guarantee it'll work. Hibernation ftw! xD

BTW, is there any draw-back in simply turning off the main switch after the OS has shut-down? Can it damage hardware or something?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
APM (advanced power management), its pretty much the entire way ATX works.

i got some thermal grease on the bottom of my K7 once and it wouldn't shut down anymore until i cleaned it.

Shutting the switch off can shorten the life of the PSU, just hold the power button for 10 seconds.

·
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,201 Posts
Did you try to clear the CMOS by removing the battery or using the jumper next to it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.