Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a very very strong line up and it covers all areas of the market, they are going to have cards from 50 dollars, to hundreds of dollars all to target many different people. And it isn't like it is pointless because DX11 titles are already being confirmed and the DX11 movement is going much faster than the DX10 one(Probably because of Windows 7). 6 DX11 games have been announced this year. So if Nvidia doesn't act together fast, then ATI will be the only choice to go to for DX11 capabilities. This is very csurprising because everyone was expecting the Fall for the cards to release, and the release was expected in October, now we know that it is just about a month away.

ATI to launch DirectX 11 GPUs in seven weeks - Bright Side Of News*

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Keep on waiting LoneWolf, they just started to experiment with DX10.1 videochips and their next generation of cards is having quite the delay. ATi will be making a big step in the OEM department and the early adopters of new technology. On the other hand, nVidia doesn't need to worry too much. There's plenty of people who will wait for it anyway. You can still play everything with a 8800GT level card or up.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
GT300 will be out by mid october.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Keep on waiting LoneWolf, they just started to experiment with DX10.1 videochips and their next generation of cards is having quite the delay.
Nvidia will not do anything with DX10.1. It's straight to DX11.

You can still play everything with a 8800GT level card or up.
Or a 3 year old 8800GTX. ;)

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
IMSHO requiring games to run on Windows 7 is a bad idea, I don't remember Halo 2 selling very well because it required Vista and you could buy Halo 2 and an XBOX for ~$80 at Gamestop before they stopped selling XBOX systems.

In fact Halo 2 is backwards compatible on a 360 and IMSHO buying a 360 is better than buying Vista for a PC to play one game, and even 7 games on Windows 7, how many of them won't be out on the 360/PS3 and worth upgrading an OS to own?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
No. DirectX 11 will add things originally meant for Dx10 that were scapped due to running out of time.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
I will just buy the new 3D vision by nVidia and RE 5.Next gen Gfx Cards arent impressive.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
The GTX300 series is sounding like it's going to be monstrously powerful. Maybe it's just hype, but I'm patiently waiting to see the performance numbers (and prices) from both ATI's and nVidia's upcoming cards before I make that decision.

·
Premium Member
8,437 Posts
It's about time. Using the horribly slow beta from the DirectX SDK gets really old!

Just wondering, does anyone understand why "Hull Shaders" are so significant? I was watching a video about Direct3D 11's new technology and the hull shader was being introduced. I never saw what made it useful (but that's just me), but then again, it took me a while to understand the significance of geometry shaders.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
although microsoft and amd never admits it, all directx 10.1 is really for fixing the poor implementation of directx 10 hardware on amd cards... nvidia never needed it as its hardware can perform optimally so in a sense they never needed it and amd only get out of it similar or close to equilavent nividia cards frame rates in directx 10

oh that link shows photos on what the cards are capable of, boy thats real impressive (please note i am bieng sarcastic) it is as bad as microsoft showing a photoshopped pic saying how flight sim x will look like in direct x 10.... really if want to prove how can directx 11 will look like have hires trailler sheese, you can tell they are aiming for the dumb customers with those pics

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
*cough*

PSXAuthor would disagree with you there.... 10.1 has its uses....

DX11, will be the full feature set that DX10 was meant to be however...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMSHO requiring games to run on Windows 7 is a bad idea, I don't remember Halo 2 selling very well because it required Vista and you could buy Halo 2 and an XBOX for ~$80 at Gamestop before they stopped selling XBOX systems.

In fact Halo 2 is backwards compatible on a 360 and IMSHO buying a 360 is better than buying Vista for a PC to play one game, and even 7 games on Windows 7, how many of them won't be out on the 360/PS3 and worth upgrading an OS to own?

Direct X11 is on Vista and Windows 7.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Halo 2 works on XP, just requires some trickery.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Nvidia will not do anything with DX10.1. It's straight to DX11.

Or a 3 year old 8800GTX. ;)
True that, that 8800GTX was a great purchase.

although microsoft and amd never admits it, all directx 10.1 is really for fixing the poor implementation of directx 10 hardware on amd cards... nvidia never needed it as its hardware can perform optimally so in a sense they never needed it and amd only get out of it similar or close to equilavent nividia cards frame rates in directx 10
Actually, DX10 became ****ty because nVidia had a play in it. Ever wondered why the 2900XT has such a huge die size? It's because it has a truckload of transistors for unused function due to those being cut from what DX10 was originally supposed to be.

Why would nVidia now try to get DX10.1 cards on the market? Why all the reports of them missing their tape-outs and not being able to be on the market before AMD? ATi never had a poor implementation, heck their DX10.1 is to set right what nVidia didn't want to touch back then. Brute force vs Technology. I'm curious what nVidia will bring on the market next though.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
According to some sources nVidia missed its mid july tape-out, so they're definitely not ready for mass production yet, and they're having problems with their 40nm chips. Not surprising, I think ATi had the same, even though they have been working on it earlier with their 4770, which formed a good experiment for them.

As things are looking now they'll be mass producing the GT300 only in December. Of course, the sources may be wrong and nVidia may be using ATi's tactics of putting up a smokescreen. But there's an awful lack of details and even rumors about the new chip.

Any sources perhaps that can hint at the october release? So far they don't even have a final design version.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
According to some sources nVidia missed its mid july tape-out, so they're definitely not ready for mass production yet, and they're having problems with their 40nm chips. Not surprising, I think ATi had the same, even though they have been working on it earlier with their 4770, which formed a good experiment for them.

As things are looking now they'll be mass producing the GT300 only in December. Of course, the sources may be wrong and nVidia may be using ATi's tactics of putting up a smokescreen. But there's an awful lack of details and even rumors about the new chip.

Any sources perhaps that can hint at the october release? So far they don't even have a final design version.
:p just going on the information im being fed from the inner circles.... ;) and no i can't reveal my sources. though its one we used to use at Techconnect.....

The cards should be ready in limited release to coincide with the release of Windows 7 to retail.

...i see Charlie's spouting his bull**** again at TheInq... just ignore that hasbeen.... hes still bitter from when nvidia black listed TheInq.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.