·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
oh, you said something?

sorry i was busy with something that matters.

:p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Cloud computing's a fart: once the novelty of the fresh bang is gone, people will notice it smells.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
i think in 10 years when we know if google OS is hit or not, we will get a better a pciture.
It might have some good aspects, but I fail to see how moving everything to an online environment can be a good thing. You'll deal with issues such as downtime and having to send data over a network that can be hacked. I'd rather do everything locally and make proper backups instead.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
One of my friends had a Sidekick up until a couple of months ago, I think he replaced it with a G1. I'll have to let him know what happened. From a functional/UI standpoint, I thought it was a pretty nifty phone, but I had no idea it was cloud based.

·
カラム
365 Posts
Cloud computing's a fart: once the novelty of the fresh bang is gone, people will notice it smells.
There's a novelty to cloud computing?

The security, ownership, control, bandwidth, speed, cost, availability and DRM concerns seriously outweigh any benefits cloud computing has (of which I am seriously struggling to find any of).

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Haha, that's the most clever analogy I've heard in quite some time. :lol:

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Is Apple planning to start a cloud computing service for gaming? I think I remember reading briefly about it. Was probably written by some Apply boy, saying it will "revolutionize gaming" and "make consoles and PCs obselete" :laugh:

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Is Apple planning to start a cloud computing service for gaming? I think I remember reading briefly about it. Was probably written by some Apply boy, saying it will "revolutionize gaming" and "make consoles and PCs obselete" :laugh:
There was some speculation about it a while back...

It will suck if I can't customize my own computer.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
I don't like the trend that cloud computing lean towards. We already have large amounts of our personal information being collected and stored and our activities tracked and kept and organized into profiles which the business world passes around & sell to one another.

Corporations time and time again abuse their power (obviously not all, but yes many do), I wouldn't be surprised if less then admirable things are being done in the way some handle our personal information. So with cloud computing i wouldn't like to risk even more of my personal data including every word document i type being on some server in the hands of a corporation somewhere else in the world indefinitely.

Centralization of our personal data in someone elses hands whom we never will meet or see, and who we can't hold accountable because we cannot monitor their activities is troubling imo.

Even if companies are angelic white galiant knights with your personal data, personal information gets stolen from businesses all the time. Just wait till some hacker steals intimate private photos of you and your wife/gf off Yahoo/Google/MS/IBM/HP/Dells centralized servers because users no longer store the photos on their hdds (or some employee takes them off of the server, or the business itself sells some of the server content via a shady business deal to a 3rd party).

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
I'm fine with cloud computing.

However, it should never be the sole storage of relevant data. Being able to keep a backup of your less personal files online sounds like a fine idea to me. A free/cheap backup you can access no matter what computer you're on is just plain handy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.