Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's strange, Chrono Cross was working fine before and now it's suddenly going too fast and buggy. Yes I have an FPS limiter on, made sure of that. Even artifically lowered the FPS limit to 40 and 60 and it had the same effect. I am using ePsXe 1.6 with Pete's OpenGL Driver 2.8. Other games seem to work fine. I heard that 1.6 has some issues so I tried 1.7 but it said I couldn't run it as I was missing "zlib1.dll". Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Ok well I should probably look up things. Got ePsXe 1.7 working fine. Load up Chrono Trigger, now it's too slow. Keep in mind I have a fairly powerful computer, 8gigs ram, 1gb vram, 2.4ghz proc. Any ideas what I can do to improve? It seems to fun all other games fine.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Slow? Slow as in how slow? When is it slow?

-_-

Please be more specific and paste your plugin config. Also, OpenGL2 v2.9 is the latest version.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
It's strange, Chrono Cross was working fine before and now it's suddenly going too fast and buggy. Yes I have an FPS limiter on, made sure of that. Even artifically lowered the FPS limit to 40 and 60 and it had the same effect. I am using ePsXe 1.6 with Pete's OpenGL Driver 2.8. Other games seem to work fine. I heard that 1.6 has some issues so I tried 1.7 but it said I couldn't run it as I was missing "zlib1.dll". Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Ok well I should probably look up things. Got ePsXe 1.7 working fine. Load up Chrono Trigger, now it's too slow. Keep in mind I have a fairly powerful computer, 8gigs ram, 1gb vram, 2.4ghz proc. Any ideas what I can do to improve? It seems to fun all other games fine.
this might actually be related to your hardware although i cant say for sure yet. what are the brand and model names of your video card and cpu, anything by ATI/AMD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
this might actually be related to your hardware although i cant say for sure yet. what are the brand and model names of your video card and cpu, anything by ATI/AMD?
Aye, I have an AMD processer, Phenom 9750 Quad-Core 2.4ghz

8gb RAM

And a ATI Video card, Radeon HD 4600 1GB

So double whammy there.

It's strange though as my older computer runs Chrono Cross fine on ePsXe 1.6 and it only has a AMD Athlon 64 2.1ghz and much less RAM(1gb) and vRam(512GB).

Slow? Slow as in how slow? When is it slow?

-_-

Please be more specific and paste your plugin config. Also, OpenGL2 v2.9 is the latest version.
Aye, I got OpenGL2 2.9, here is my plugin info

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio:
- No render-to-texture: ¾

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 2
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: on
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 4/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on [00000002]

As for slowness. It's perfect during the title and movies at 59.8 FPS constant. However during gameplay and the demo at the beginning it goes down to 15 which very well could be my system or my settings, anything you see in settings that I might need to turn down and would help? Sorry for the vagueness before.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
Aye, I have an AMD processer, Phenom 9750 Quad-Core 2.4ghz

8gb RAM

And a ATI Video card, Radeon HD 4600 1GB

So double whammy there.

It's strange though as my older computer runs Chrono Cross fine on ePsXe 1.6 and it only has a AMD Athlon 64 2.1ghz and much less RAM(1gb) and vRam(512GB).

Aye, I got OpenGL2 2.9, here is my plugin info

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio:
- No render-to-texture: ¾

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 2
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: on
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 4/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on [00000002]

As for slowness. It's perfect during the title and movies at 59.8 FPS constant. However during gameplay and the demo at the beginning it goes down to 15 which very well could be my system or my settings, anything you see in settings that I might need to turn down and would help?
the problem is most likely due to you using the auto-detect setting for the memory amount in the video config, anyone using ATI hardware usually needs to set it manually.

edit- btw you should also turn the internal res. levels down one and set the render mode to 2, it might help a bit as well.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
edit- btw you should also turn the internal res. levels down one and set the render mode to 2, it might help a bit as well.
Actually except for the Y internal res which should be set to 2 there shouldn't be any more problems my 3650 worked flawlessly with any kind of shader i tried and internal res set to 2. Only the older and the low end ATI models suffer from problems when internal res is set to high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the problem is most likely due to you using the auto-detect setting for the memory amount in the video config, anyone using ATI hardware usually needs to set it manually.

That did it, runs smooth as a whistle at 60 FPS, I didn't know that ATI had that problem. Much thanks!

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Thats because that ****er Spyre keeps burying the threads about it at the AMD forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.