Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I keep getting this Black Screen Hang in Chrono Cross after Norris offers to join. This also happened when I was trying to get Mel to join. It just sort of shows a black screen and the "join" music continues to play. Is there anyway around this? I am using the Pete's OpenGl 1.5 plugin.

·
Registered
116 Posts
just push f7 a couple times and it'll come back. the teleport screen might be garbled when you get Norris joining up, or at least it was for me :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Thanks a lot. How'd you know to push f7 anyway? I never would have thought of it. Thanks again it works great!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
*cough* by reading those mystical scrolls known as readme's, manuals, and faqs and fathoming to great depth the prophecies given therein.

I need to go to bed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
:D

A perfect reply.

A note about CC and Pete's OpenGL.

There is a certain optional point in the game where you have to enable Full Vram primitives and Vram. It's going to slow down the framrates, bigtime.....

Also

Try this setting:
Select
0: Emulate Vram under the Framebuffer Texture

check the Special Game features....
Go inside ... and check Framebuffer read.

You'll find that the black out screens go away during the battles with very little loss in Frame rates...if any.
Make sure that Antialaising is off on your Geforce2 OpenGl. (did I mention I've only tried this on the G2?....guess not)

When and if you get to the optional point in the game. You'll know it when you see it, the screen goes crazy. uncheck the special game feature and check "Full Vram Primitives". You'll be able to see the screen but frame rate will be louzy.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If you have a gf2, then why emulate the framebuffer since your card is more than capable of using the graphics card buffer? That will make it a whole lot easier on your framerate.

I still need to go to bed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I never tried it with GFX. I tried it with emulated Vram, and noticed no slowdowns on my system. So I never bothered doing anymore Graphic tweeks. I went by the old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Next time I play Crono Cross I'll give the GFX a try.

Oh well, either way, activate that Framebuffer read for CC. It will improve the battles without loss to the Framerate. (I guess it may depend on how fast your CPU is)

I don't exactly agree with #1 from Pete's instructions below. Seems that it doesn't matter how fast the system is. The framerate seems to get cut in half when using that method on my 1.2 Athlon-C. Especially in the menus...which is kinda wierd. Oh...and heed the FF9 warning.

Partial Paste and cut from Pete's readme file:

The interaction between FVP, FBR and FBT (framebuffer textures) is a bit tricky, so lemme try to explain the best combinations:

1. if you have a very fast cpu, you can enable FVP, set FBT to "emulated vram" and disable the new FBR.

2. if enabled FVP is too slow on your system, turn it off and use the new FBR option. FBT has to be set to "emulated vram" or sometimes "gfx card buffer".

3. Many games will run best, if you simply set the FBT to "gfx card
buffer" and disable FVP/FBR. Maybe you will miss some(unimportant) bkg gfx or battle transitions, but that's all. And if you are looking for speed only, disable FVP/FBR and set FBT to "Black"... speeds up most transitions (they will be black, of course).

I've checked the new combination #2 (using FBR) with a couple of games, and it worked fine on Spyro 1 (bkg gfx in the option menu), Tomb Raider TLR (bkg gfx while pausing), ChronoCross (bkg gfx while pausing/item menu), Star Ocean 2 (battle transition), Blaze&Blade (bkg gfx and transition), Legend of Mana (entering town transition). Prolly more games will also show up additional stuff which you have missed before if you haven't used FVP. Another thing: all framebuffer read effects will look 'low res'... if you have read the above text carefully, you can guess why. A final note on the new FBR option (wow, that description is getting far too long): DON'T USE IT WITH FF9!!!

FF9 is also reading back data after a battle... and if the new FBR option is enabled, ePSXe will crash with an unkown opcode. Don't ask me why... maybe FF9 doesn't like what I am giving back (copy protection? bug in my code? mmm... have to do more investigations). Still: complains about problems in FF9 with activated FBR will go to my personal NULL device :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts