Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a diversity of opinion among those who can use Null's 1.3 series (usually not 1.35 though) and those who can't.

I'd like to focus specifically on Chrono Cross. With Chrono Cross, Null's 1.3 series does not work at all for me. Period. Endless cracking and hisses during MDEC's regardless of buffer/block settings. I see no difference between 1.34 or 1.35 in that regard.

Null's 1.2 plugin provides outstanding sound, the best sound of any plugin by far, but tends to hang randomly at the beginning of MDEC's, forcing me to reboot the entire computer, switch to the internal plugin and go through the MDEC, and then switch back. This seems to be a recognized problem.

The internal SPU does not hang, is plenty fast, and provides acceptable sound, but the background music is inferior to null2 -- it seems to clip notes or something. In any event, null2 does a better job with the Squaresoft soundtrack. Most people seem to agree on this point.

The only person who can get Pete's plugin to work on Squaresoft games, apparently, is sxamiga, and he has a pretty studly configuration -- meaning that it may be a resource issue. It doesn't work at all for me.

SO, has anyone worked out a better compromise solution than Null 1.2 for general CC use and internal spu for MDEC's? If Null 1.3 series does work for you (the latest version of which supports savestates, which would be useful), please post your settings.

Jonathan
K6-III 400, 128 MB PC-100, Voodoo3 2000, SBLive! Value 256v.
Latest Lewpy plugin, using ISO.
For Null 1.2, I use the highest frequency setting (a must for CC), VAG stream enabled, linear interpolation, and reverb.

·
I'm cool.
131 Posts
You know, I decided to just play the damn games on a PSX, even if they look shitty... too many damn problems with emus.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Personally, i don't use nulls2 spu plugin much!!:D
only in some games that are not very well supported with the internal spu. games like iss2000 (the commentators keep repeating themselves over and over with the internal).

for cc, i use the internal, cause nulls2 sound's are allways cracky.:mad: (mdecs,etc).

i haven´t tried petes one but i will right now:emb:

·
Registered
171 Posts
i tried nulls2 plugin version 1.35 and it works great except for the craky mdecs:mad:

my config goes below:

Lewpy's Glide³ Plugin Configuration Information
-----------------------------------------------
Computer Information
DirectX : DirectX 8 or better installed
Processor : AMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor, 376Mhz (1 off) (00/058c)
32kb L1-I, 32kb L1-D, 0kb L2 (on-chip)
Memory : 32Mb
Sound board: SoundBlaster PCI 128
Graphic Board: Voodoo II
Core Emulator
ePSXe : D:\EPSXE\EPSXE.EXE
: 07/03/2001 22:50, 148480 bytes

| Type | Name | Version | Date |
| BIOS | scph7502.bin | | 17/07/2000 23:28 |
| CDR | cdrPeteAspi.dll | 1.2 | 05/05/2001 17:25 |
| GPU | gpuLewGlide.dll | 1.32 | 20/04/2001 20:44 |
| SPU | spuNull2Mixer.dll | 1.3 | 25/03/2001 23:34 |

Spu config:
22050hz, 16bit
buffer length: 20
block: 3
enable vag stream, tone-cache and linear interpolation

and i've tried petes spu. it works, not so well but it works with cc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lordbyron,

have you tried setting the attribute to a higher frequency setting? As for general gameplay, I found that I had to set it to 44.1 khz before the ocean waves sounded normal -- before, it sounded like miners' pickaxes.

Your config is basically the same as mine so you should get better music without any noticeable penalty.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i've tried to 44100khz bit mode and i haven't noticed any performance slowdows, and the sound quality improved a bit!

when u say my system is almost like yours i say "i wish!" eheh

no i wish a better one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts