Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a result of some emulator setting, but here we go:

I've been using ePSXe Version 1.6.0, or whatever the most recent version is (and yes, I know, this version does not digest Chrono Cross well). Started playing Chrono Cross about a month ago.

The only problems I've had have all been manageable except the most recent: I can no longer see my inventory screen.

I press square, and the screen is black, the music continues but slows down. I can move around through my list on the directional pad, and I can hear the little sound the menu cursor makes when scrolling, but can't see what I'm doing. This is a major problem, considering, as I'm sure Chrono Cross players will know, I must access the inventory menu many times throughout the game, especially to travel between worlds. I have had no serious glitches like this until now.

This issue showed up randomly; my settings/configurations. had been the same since the beginning. After the glitch started, however, I tried several times to change my settings. Nothing helped.

I really, REALLY don't want to have to reinstall ePSXe using version 1.5.2, considering I like the newer version, and Chrono Cross is not the only game I play on it. Not only that, but I don't even know if installing v.1.5.2 would fix the problem - it may be in the .iso itself.

Any suggestions? Or do you guys think v.1.5.2 would fix it?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
disable frameskipping and set the compatibility to

OpenGL 2.x

OpenGL 1.7x

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
1.7.0 is the most recent version, so it would best if you switch to that or 1.5.2. you can still use your save games between the versions, so doing a switch isnt as bad as it sounds.

while it can be played on 1.6.0 under certain conditions, it would be more stable on a version that has no real compatibility issues with the game that render it unplayable like 1.6.0 does.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.7 is what I meant then, my apologies. I downloaded the most recent version when I got the emulator, but failed to remember what it was.

I can't run Chrono Cross and give it a shot now, but I will try your config settings, Squall, and see if they help. I'll obviously post back in here if they don't.

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
can you post your system specs and the rest of your plugin configs in case they are needed later on?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure:

Video: Pete's OpenGL Driver v.1.77
Sound: Eternal SPU Plugin v.1.41
CDR: P.E.Op.S CDR Driver 1.4 (though I use .isos pretty much exclusively)

Processor: Intel(R) Premium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz
RAM: 1.00 GB
Chipset type: Mobile Intel GM965 Express (It's a laptop)
Graphics Processor / Vendor: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0

Let me know if I missed anything and I'll add it in.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
use the D3D7 plugin.
I've tried, but whenever I try to configure it, for some reason it says "Error: Resolution/Color depth not supported." Then I have to switch to Pete's Open GL.

My laptop's a piece of crap, by the way. Just throwing that out there.

EDIT: Squall, I tried your compatibility fixes. The only difference that has come up is that now the screen freezes when I press square, so I can still see my characters and the scene I'm in. I can move the cursor and hear it going down the inventory list, but can't see it. When I press X, the inventory menu flashes for a second, but not long enough for me to see whatever I have selected. Then it goes back to normal play.

So, still can't see my inventory. :(

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I figured out a work around: I just have to hit "Print Screen" at the very second that the inventory menu flashes so that I can save a picture of it to look at when trying to navigate through my invisible list in the game. It sucks, but so far, it works well enough.

I might just end up trying v.1.5.2, I'll post the results of trying it in case anyone else ends up with a similar problem.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
this is unusual :\

have you updated the intel drivers lately.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't, that's actually something I should try. I've also tried to run the Sims 2 on this laptop, and I meet all the specs for it, but for some reason it always freezes, and it made me think it might just be a driver issue.

I'll poke around on Dell's website (it's a Dell Inspiron 1525) to see if there are any video driver updates, because I'm pretty confident that's where the problem is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.