Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to give this emulation bit a go, and make one of my old favorites more portable. I downloaded a copy of ePSXE 1.7.0 on my main computer, collected all the necessary files, and got it running without a hitch. Moved all the files to this computer, no luck (details to follow). Tried redownloading the files in case my flash drive was wonky, made it all out of fresh copies of the files, same problem. Cruised the forums, tinkered with the settings, still nothing.

ePSXe fires up just fine, configures just fine, no problems there. BIOS boots into the standard memory card/CD player menu. When I try to load from ISO, the window goes black, and nothing happens (I've given it up to 10 minutes), and other windows will show through it if I tab around. The computer's relatively current, so it's not some hardware drag, and when I hit Esc from the black screen it pops me back to the main one, and I can close the app as normal.

I'm using Pete's drivers, the D3D version in particular since it's an ATI card (and a card, not onboard, so no strangeness there). I've attached a screenshot of the DOS window when I load the image for reference.

Any pointers?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already done it. Here's point-by-point.

-I'm using ISOs atm, so I don't think the CDR plugin is a problem, and I'm using the stock plugin in any case. I'm already using subchannel reads.

-Already have BIOS, using Pete's plugins (again, D3D for an ATI card), using stock CD plugin (again, using ISOs for now, so I didn't think that was a problem), no gamepads - just keyboard.

-The DOS window isn't showing any errors, not any of the times I've ran across this error since I noticed it. I posted it just in case anyone saw anything more detailed.

-I didn't figure the PAL patch would be necessary - again, the same image ran on my home computer.

-Already noted that the BIOS boots up just fine. Standard SONY logo, then menu, just like a PSX.

-Haven't had a chance to run it on a physical PSX, but again, since it worked one one computer and not the other with the same files I figured this was a local issue.

-The problem computer is running XP - didn't think DEP was an issue, though my main computer is Vista and this one is XP, but I figured that would make this weirder, not make sense.

A few extra notes - already set Pete's video plugin for 'nice', no noticeable changes.

Anything else?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Freezing prior to loading the SPU is a Image problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further investigation

Okay, so I ramped this up another step. Since my flash drives have gone through the wash a few times, I've pulled my original of the game out, made an image using the handy CloneCD instructions on this site, and burned off a copy for the other computer. Same problem. No visible errors on the command-line, but absolutely nothing productive. I'm including another screenshot where the main window is visible so everyone can see what I mean.

So, not likely to be an image problem. Any other suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.