Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computer users frustrated by slow internet connections could soon be surfing the web 100 times faster, all thanks to new Australian technology.
University of Sydney scientists say they have developed a new technology that could speed up the internet – and not cost users an extra cent.
Described as "a small scratch on a piece of glass", the university's photonic integrated circuit boosts the performance of traditional optic fibres, Professor Ben Eggleton said.
Continued at Chip makes broadband 60 times faster - New Zealand's source for technology news on Stuff.co.nz
so basically internet connection will be much faster and because its produced so cheaply the customer won't have to pay shed loads of money. that's pretty good. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
ive got to get me one of these.

·
Not a Registered User
1,316 Posts
It's gonna be the best thing on the world :lol:
I wonder when i gonna be out for public use, some info
I'm gonna get as soon as it will be available here
Downloading games i movies 100x faster :lol: just joking :evil:
I wonder how this affect multi player online games will "lag" be forgotten :drool:

·
One of the most...
953 Posts
It's gonna be the best thing on the world :lol:
I wonder when i gonna be out for public use, some info
I'm gonna get as soon as it will be available here
Downloading games i movies 100x faster :lol: just joking :evil:
I wonder how this affect multi player online games will "lag" be forgotten :drool:
Well, lag is not always client-sided. :p

I'm confused, how would a chip speed up internet connection? :confused:

·
One of the most...
953 Posts
a small fraction of second. Just search Wikipedia. i would, but I'm too lazy now, and I feel like being an ass stating such. :D

It is like AMD athlon on steroids isn't it?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Interesting. Having faster internet is all good and all...

But really. Does anyone need anything more then a dual gigabit Ethernet set up?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
We'll see. But for personal use, a dual gigabit set up is more then enough. But since this only costs a few cents, it should become a standard on network ports quite fast.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
but how long will it take to implement this technology globally?

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
i predict, those in australia will get it first, china and japan, america, europe, then africa. Is how it will go who gets it first. Although europe and america will get it at the same time probably.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
nope we probably wont get it in america for a while. the major cable companies monopolize the industry and will continue to absorb major profits before upgrading to fight competition. you can thank the government for that

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
nope we probably wont get it in america for a while. the major cable companies monopolize the industry and will continue to absorb major profits before upgrading to fight competition. you can thank the government for that
We may if the new Obama administration can put policies in place on the network communications/broadband market to stimulate competition instead of stimulating the wealthiest of those companies.

Eight years ago, the US was within the top 5 broadband connected countries in the world and had many small/medium companies competing and driving inovation. Today, we're not even in the top 10 and only a few major companies are left. I hope the new administration changes that going forward.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
So true. I remember back in the dial up days the phone book had 10 pages devoted to different ISPs. Now it's like 3 or 4.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts