·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've seen:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero
House of Flying daggers

and I loved all three especially House of flying daggers. Does anyone know any more movies like this? I've been looking hard but I haven't found any!

I sure hope Zhang Ziyi will do another one soon, she's so great. Does anyone know if she's single? :D

·
band
4,912 Posts
i dont know. im 3/4 chinese and when i watch those films with plot i have trouble keeping track of all the character names O__O (and thats with watching the subtitles too). id say keep with the action films...that way u wont have to worry about keeping up with anything >.>

id recommend:

shaolin soccer
enter the dragon (well a lot of bruce lee stuff)
ong bak (not as much fights as i wanted...)
rumble in the bronx (i love jackie chan stuff)
also try "the seven samurai" just to see if you like those sorts of movies.
a korean movie callled "fighter in the wind" is also good

·
Registered
317 Posts
I really like drunken master, its a Jackie Chan movie but the reason I like it is because there isn't non of that bs-joke-type-moves like using chairs and stuff to fight. Its all about pure technique, and its just awesome to see all those wild moves, and the last "boss" fight is just insane. A must see.

Also "iron monkey" is a good one, its a bit on the older side, but still a great movie.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
check out kungfu hustle

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
Other than the ones mentioned before i'd reccomend Xanda. It's a very inspirational movie and it actually has a plot. It doesn't go beyond the typical "i have to become better to avenge my friend" but the personal struggles and sacrifices of the main character make up for it. A must see in my opinion.

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are actuaily movies that have been made for westren audiences with more fights than plot, I would recomend that you see the real stuff if you can understand classical Chinese those have better plots
The problem is I really like all those cool visual effects, and it takes a big budget for those. That and the director has to be slightly crazy. For example the film team for hero had to get up at 4 each morning and setup everything only to put it down again because the surface of the lake was not completely blank :D

Besides D.D. is right that a more complicated plot doesn't always make the movie better, with all those names and other things to keep track of.

Thank you for all the suggestions I'll investigate some of the movies mentioned that I haven't seen already Xanda looks especially interesting. Too bad none could reply to my second question though hehehe.

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm somewhat used to the chinese names by now, the bigger problem is I can't see much difference between chinese men :p this is a big problem in scenes where names are not mentioned, espcially if there are a lot of characters.

·
User addicted to Diazepam
4,744 Posts
I've all these modern Chinese Material Arts movies that you mentioned, but I can remember some very old ones that I used to watch on TV.
There was a kung-fu movie every wednesday and I watched them every week. But I can't remember the names so far.
Thanks for the horrible translations..

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
ChankastRules said:
The problem is I really like all those cool visual effects, and it takes a big budget for those....... Xanda looks especially interesting.
The only drawback is that Xanda doesn't include cool visual effects like that. It will be a movie of purely humans trying to strive for a better future (or something along the lines lol). The music is worth though, especially the one played in the final battle. It will stay in your head for weeks.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
have you checked out any shaw brother films?

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
You want real serious stuff? Bruce Lee! Nuff said.

Druken master IS good yeah. Good balance between fun and seriousness, at least if I remember correctly. the older Jackie Chan movie have less slapstick, or at least more technique... and I mean older.

The Chinese Jet Li movies... Legend of Iron Monkey... the Once Upon a Time in China series... those are practically legends. There's a Jet Li movie that's set during the Japanese occupation of China, where he falls in love with a Japanese girl and he fights a Japanese general in the end. Really good technique, but I can't remember the title.

There are also scores of others, but never localized for the Western audience, so you may need to understand a lot of background.

·
band
4,912 Posts
There's a Jet Li movie that's set during the Japanese occupation of China, where he falls in love with a Japanese girl and he fights a Japanese general in the end. Really good technique, but I can't remember the title.
good lord. much as i like jet li movies, i dont think the world needs another movie with that theme ... esp not with the tension in east asia (just to stop comparisons with germany (-__- ;) ). if not for the occupation i wudnt exist >.<

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
D.D. said:
good lord. much as i like jet li movies, i dont think the world needs another movie with that theme ... esp not with the tension in east asia (just to stop comparisons with germany (-__- ;) ). if not for the occupation i wudnt exist >.<
Well, it's a pretty old movie. It's not an over generalization anyway. The Japanese Ambassador is an OK guy... it's just a problem with a particular military unit. It was balanced since it showed Japanese who were honorable, with good moral fiber, and on the other hand, showed cowardrice/ineptitude on the part of the Chinese too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.