Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
EmuAddict-_-;;
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A Chinese company showed what it’s calling the world’s first mobile phone to run Windows XP at Computex on Friday. The xpPhone wakes Windows from standby mode to receive calls and text messages and has a battery life of seven hours when not in standby. With a larger battery it’s capable of running for 12 hours. The device is powered by a customized chip from Advanced Micro Devices made by In Technology. It also features a pull-out QWERTY keypad, 120GB hard disk and a 4.8 inch LCD touchscreen with a resolution of 800 by 480 pixels.

Expect it to hit the Chinese market in about three months and later be marketed worldwide. The xpPhone will support Wi-Fi, optional WiMax, GPS and next-generation mobile.
I wonder what it's CPU specs. Will it run emulators such as nullDC or epsxe?

News source: Chinese company shows off Windows XP phone - SlipperyBrick.com

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Hands-on video:

In my opinions, nothing stellar, and from the looks of it, the thing uses AMD Geode, which... isn't exactly what you'd want to use to run emulators of systems higher than the SNES. Maybe you can try Connectix VGS for acceptable PSX emulation, but I don't suppose it can handle more than that.

12-hour battery life is also... a bit of a problem for a "phone". Not to mention the size isn't very pocket-friendly so you have to lug the thing around somehow. Keyboard seems too small, and won't be of much help for anything at all except SMS, which is kind of silly because it's a device with Windows XP. Of course watching youtube is also out of the question. That's how slow that CPU is. :(

Nice concept, but I don't think that'll work out too well.

Meanwhile, MSI made an excellent netbook that ran for up to 24 hours on battery. Look for MSI U115 for more information. Now couple that with 3G network and Skype and you might just have something closer to a phone (or at least more useful) than this device.

Price might also be a problem, too. In this perspective, I'm suspecting.. that either Sony Satio (Idou) or iPhone 3GS or Nokia N97 would be a better contender for a phone.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Depending on price, i would pick one up for school. seems like it would be handy. Use the instant messengers and stuff in class. or take notes on it. Keyboard seems a little small though. And with 120gb harddrive, think of all the movies and music you can fit on it. Can't forget the protable pron :lol:

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Depending on price, i would pick one up for school. seems like it would be handy. Use the instant messengers and stuff in class. or take notes on it. Keyboard seems a little small though. And with 120gb harddrive, think of all the movies and music you can fit on it. Can't forget the protable pron :lol:
Viliv S5

UMID M1

These are the better products in the line (in terms of performance), for a reasonable price and the packages are compact as well.

Seriously, though, devices like these are plaguing the ultra portable market. If you have always wanted one, now is a good time to do a little research. ;)

The Pandora might well be... reasonable only if it is offered at under $200, or I can quite imagine the PSP Go being the better purchase. :p By that time, though, you'll have Intel Pinetrail or nVidia Tegra systems with ultra small screens with e-Paper support for roughly the same price point ($200 to $300), so it'll be a very close call.

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
I've never used my phone for anything besides texting and calls, much more so texting. I barely use my itouch for anything besides checking the weather and facebook.

I don't see what the appeal is for these all in one devices, where they try to pack as many features as they can in....meanwhile, battery life is ticking away.

·
Professional Spitter.
972 Posts
Its being produced right now. Release date is always 2 months from this point though, and the only people who can get one are those who pre-ordered a couple of months ago.

And it looks really promising. The people on their forums are usually talking about the possibilities of fullspeed N64 emulation, something the PSP cant do. Its also supposed to go multiplayer with a number of games, like QIII: Arena.

I want one so badly...

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,455 Posts
Come on save your money for Sony IDOU OR SATIO Whatever!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
For $330, you might as well go buy a netbook and go play something... beefier. :p And it's guaranteed to have "good" N64 emulation, too, if not "fullspeed". :innocent:

The Eee 4G (7") is running for $150 around if you can find one.
Are you kidding? It's like $500 on Amazon. :lol:

Edit: Um..what the heck? Did I miss something? They sell one for $479, and the other for $200.. oO
http://www.amazon.com/7-Inch-Display-Mobile-Processor-Preloaded/dp/B000YEMKGY
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Mobile-Internet-Device-Preloaded/dp/B000Y33CVM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.