Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got outbid on eBay. Man, it's annoying.

Anyone know the absolutely cheapest place to buy an Ageia PhysX card? (PCI-E or regular PCI is fine.) I can get hold of one for £49.99 including postage. (Postage will be to the UK.)

Considering the only thing I'm gonna use it for is a FEW extra effects in SOME games, I don't wanna spend more than £30 on it.

If anyone can find me one (I've been looking for about an hour so far) for a good price, that'd be great. Thanks in advance people. :)

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Wouldn't be better to use and weaker Geforce card dedicated to Physx? SInce you saind in the other thread you mobo supports SLI as it has like 3 PCI-E 16x.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mad. I thought about that, but here's the deal: Only the 8 series and up supports PhysX. So, I checked out the cheapest Geforce 8 series card I could find...I can get hold of a 8400GS for about £20 or so which is cool. But only one problem...it sucks! ...so it's not cool. Apparently a few other people have given it a go and it results in really poor performance. Seems like to make it work I'd have to get a card even more expensive than the Ageia PhysX PPU.

ChrisRay: So long as I get 30fps or more in Mirror's Edge, I'm not bothered. I just wanna try ATI and be able to take the PhysX tech with me.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
So I'm wrong about all Geforce 8 series cards supporting PhysX?
If so, which card do you recommend?
Anything with at least 32 shader processing cores... That's the official statement. So if it doesn't have at least that many, then it's not going to do anything. Also only works on 8 series and up because they have shader cores and not just dedicated pixel shaders or vertex shaders.

As for PhysX... I'd recommend sticking with nVidia for that ****. nVidia blocked PhysX on a system with ATi and a nVidia card. Maybe you can "somehow" hack it and enable the support (this is already done), but it's not official and there might be problems down the drain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.