Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am just mulling on this idea for my brother sake as he is not quite literate in Japanese. He recently bought a few games that I have played in the Japanese versions (Persona 4 and Eternal Poison are the two he bought recently) and he was wondering if he could use my New Game + saves to save him some time when playing.

So I tried doing some ID changing of the the Japanese IDs to the US IDs but of course that ended up in failure when I sent him the save files. He say they were corrupt, which only leads me to believe there are CRC checks in the core files themselves. I am not too keen at hex editing my saves so I was just wondering if there is a tool that could convert PS2 savegames from any region (Like PSX Mem Tool)?

Preferably I would like to do as little hex editing as possible. Until then I told my brother to go play the game :p

·
Flood Yourself
1,349 Posts
It really depends on the game I think. I switched over from FFXII PAL to FFXII US-NTSC and wanted to keep my saves, so I just changed the ID of the files and the folders that they're in to the US IDs and it worked fine. What are you using to change the ID? And is this on the PS2 and using uLaunchELF or in an emu?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really depends on the game I think. I switched over from FFXII PAL to FFXII US-NTSC and wanted to keep my saves, so I just changed the ID of the files and the folders that they're in to the US IDs and it worked fine. What are you using to change the ID? And is this on the PS2 and using uLaunchELF or in an emu?
I basically copied out the JP save games via uLaunchELF's File Manager from my PS2 memory card which pulls it as a raw ID folder with the core save data, icon.ico and icon.sys. Then I used PS2 Save Builder and using the US save file ID's renamed the JP Saves I had, then I dumped it back to an ARMax format for my brother to try. Sadly the result was according to my brother was that the save file is corrupted. Further along of course I did a quick hex edit check and there is about an extra 40 bytes difference in file size the US save file being bigger than the Japanese one.

I had wish it was a simple ID change but of course those 40 bytes kind of throws off the checksum that I am sure the game is checking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts