Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really surprised that I couldn't find anything on this subject anywhere, and it seems quite important, for me at least.

The problem for me with psx games is that they're often not all that smooth in their performance. I've got everything on max and have a constant of 59.8 fps and still it feels somewhat unsmooth.

To fix this, I've found that increasing the framelimit makes the games faster and more smooth to the eyes.

Now with epsxe 1.7.0, I can't customize my own framelimit. If I set the GPU to framelimit 80 for example i still only get 49.8 or 59.8 depending on which way it reads. If i press F4, i get no limit at all = ~150-800 fps depending on game.

Is there someway to disable the internal framelimit and enable a limit that you can actually control? If that is the case, how? I've gotten through so much trouble to get epsxe 1.7.0 working so I'd prefer if a solution can be found within epsxe.

Thanks

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
use a third party spu plugin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry but none of the two suggestions seem to work. I'm stuck with the same fps whatever plugins i'm using. Pete's ogl2, soft plug, doesn't matter. I've tried P.E.op. DSound 1.8 and Eternal 1.41, none made any difference to the fps whatsoever. Settings in Soft plugin was Use Frame Limit, custom limit 65. And I had 49.8 constantly.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
use eternal spu and set it to spu async : smooth.

my bad, i should've specified that.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
then something else is wrong.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Wait, so let me ask which you're asking.

Are you saying you can't get it to run over 60FPS, period, or are you saying you want it to run smoother (more FPS) without speeding the game up?

If it's the latter, you're out of luck. Emulators run the game at 60 FPS, but that's not the internal frame rate. The 60FPS refers to the 60 vblanks (that is, the 60Hz of a television, at least in NTSC). Therefore, the FPS the emulator is reporting it the timing speed of the game. This is why if you speed it up or slow it down, game speed does the same.

The "real" FPS of the game is often lower. Many are often 24 or 30 in alot of instances, and anyone with a picky eye will notice it isn't smooth. There's nothing you can do about this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I didn't know that. BUT I want to speed up the games! Cause I notice if the counter that says FPS is at 49.8 till i press f4, then it goes to 150-800. Which speeds the game up greatly, but unfortiunately I don't know how to cap it at such speed.

I would like to be able to speed up games like 5-10 frames/s, since that would increase smoothness AND make the games a bit quicker. I'm a guy with little patience when it comes to games such as wipeout. I want it to be incredibly fast, so it's really really reaction dependant. Also slow rpgs becomes a bit more enjoyable for me if I can get the speed just a little higher.

And squall, I'm using the show fps in the graphics plugin to monitor the frames i'm talking about. Maybe that's an error from me? But I don't notice any change whatsoever with any of the methods above.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
don't press F4, that just toggles the limter on and off

the gpu plugin has keys(customiseable in the plugin config) setup to manipulate settings while a game is running, frame limit and frameskipping are included.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.