Next Generation Emulation banner

Changes for emu of the year award

• Do nothing at all, let the awards stay the same

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Change the awards mechanics a little, emulators don't get nominated, their innovations get instead

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Create two kind of awards. One for emulators overall and one for the ones released this year.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Give pcsx2 a pass for the hall of fame and let the rest of the contestants duke it out on the actual

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Give out two first place awards assuming PCSX2 will win but don't necessarily give it the automatic

Votes: 1 9.1%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vote. Actual discussion goes into the other thread. I made it multiple choice because there are some that aren't entirely exclusive, or in case you want to have a fallback option, but please don't vote for more than two.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Create two kind of awards. One for emulators overall and one for the ones released this year. got my vote.

As for the PCSX2 related ones, I really don't think we should remove something from a competition just because it is going to win, its like removing the lord of the rings return of the king form the oscars because the first 2 did so well, its like well we know your going ot win so we will give you a special award. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Emu of the year? I thought it was innovation of the year...

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Options 2 & 3 are feasable to me, but tbh i think PCSX2 shouldnt even be nominated this year. We always win by a landslide, we are seen as an all mighty got who will smite people down if they dont vote for us :p

But i dont think PCSX2 being in there is fair on the other emus.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
But i dont think PCSX2 being in there is fair on the other emus.
At least your modest Ref, no one can deny you of that.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
At least your modest Ref, no one can deny you of that.
well, im all for fair competition, but whenever pcsx2 is mentioned, the competition never seems to be fair. Im not trying to blow my own trumpet here but weve had like a hattrick of wins by a fair margin.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
2 and 3. 'features' like compatibilty and pcsx2's network are two things that deserve to be highlighted. we could also input options like "DS emulation development (mic support and ****)" to rivalize with pcsx2. NGemu seems to be divided between NDS and PS2 freaks. :)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Well, I chose Change the awards mechanics a little, emulators don't get nominated, their innovations get instead because it would clarify the idea. It's INNOVATION of the year, not "your favorite emulator that made the most progress". It should be for a single thing, an actual innovation. Hell, to have some actually INTERESTING competition, why not nominate PCSX2 multiple times? Surely they've had multiple innovations with that, right?

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well... surely that would make things interesting but the people who are against PCSX2 being nominated at all would go berseker on us :p

Anyway only 9 voters so far... I guess we should let the poll run a day or two more before deciding anything.

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
There's something else to discuss concerning emus/innovations (check my posts at other thread for example).

Concerning *forum* awards, the fact to list emus into that seems kinda farfetched actually. *Emu/innovation* awards have a place in ngemu's frontpage, as a yearly resume of the whole 2007 actuality. The fact that the emus who gets the most support requests are the strongest 'candidates', based on hype, isn't totally stranger to the results one would expect.

Keeping the awards a fun event, should require that this kind of competing be considered differently at the very least. By making a category for "coder of the year (among our members, instead of 'emu of year')" for example, keeps it friendly, while avoiding the trap of splitting people over what emus to vote for.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I voted for the last option. I dont think its fair not to allow pcsx2 to be nominated but there will be a bias towards it. It also should not get an auto-pass. Therefore have 2 first places.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts