Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if this is the correct section to post in, but I'll give it a shot.

Over the past few years my laptop's gotten quite a beating, being dragged with me to school nearly every day for 3 years, and on holidays as well sometimes.
This, along with some minor accidents, has made some holes, dents or whatnot in the plastic, especially where the screen's mounted. At the moment, it's kinda *****ed, need to be real careful when opening it, else it's really not stable :p

Is it any chance that I can ask Asus for another case (for my A6J), and just move the hardware over or something?
It's been quite a while since I bought this computer, 3 and a half years, fall 2005 if I remember correctly.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Hmmm, the A6J is a pretty old model, so most retailers don't carry it anymore.

You can probably find a barebone system lying around somewhere, but it'll still cost a bit. If you do it this way, the only thing you'll have to move over is the RAM, hard drive and CPU.

But I'd email Asus and see if you can work out some kind of deal just for the casing.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Who knows, they always could. Asus has a pretty good support line for their laptops. Plus, it's an older model they don't pump out anymore. They may just want to get rid of them. All they'll charge you for is the shipping and handling.

I've emailed them for a spare DVD burner for my Asus laptop cause it was making strange noises at top read speed. Lo and behold, a couple weeks later, the thing arrived in the mail :)

Most people just don't take the time to make a simple email or phone call to work something out. Instead, they'll go spend much more money then they should have.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Ouch. Do you really need this laptop? If you were really adventurous, idt be cool to rig up your own case. But check up ebay for some dead laptops (same models).

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Laptop vendors generally don't sell individual parts cheaply under any circumstances.

I inquired the price of an 8800GTX laptop card from Sager about a year ago and they told me that it was $600. Obviously I decided not to go with this. (good thing too since they have problems :lol:) He said the price is high to persuade people to buy a brand new laptop. Ah, well.:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.