Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
DS graphics are optimized for the DS, not for its cartdrige, duh, DS carts are cheap to produce and can, in theory, have huge sizes (though of course, the bigger the size, the higher the price), as far as DS is concerned, I'm happy with its medium, but it's true that the next gen portable system from nintendo will need something else, while keeping loading times down *cough* PSP *cough*

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
it'll take them as long to switch from cartridge to disc as it did for them to get colour after game gear.

·
Registered
12,014 Posts
"GameBoy Advance Successor Confirmed
Does Nintendo have ADD?

[June 19, 2004] — David Gosen of Nintendo Europe confirmed that the company is already working on the next GameBoy system—a system other than the Nintendo DS. The announcement came at the ELSPA conference in Europe.

The new system is to compete with the Sony PSP. In fact, if the PSP does well, Nintendo will rush development of the new system to have it out for 2006. Otherwise, expect to see the new system, which is dubbed "GBEvolution", in 2007."

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Ryos said:
"GameBoy Advance Successor Confirmed
Does Nintendo have ADD?

[June 19, 2004] — David Gosen of Nintendo Europe confirmed that the company is already working on the next GameBoy system—a system other than the Nintendo DS. The announcement came at the ELSPA conference in Europe.

The new system is to compete with the Sony PSP. In fact, if the PSP does well, Nintendo will rush development of the new system to have it out for 2006. Otherwise, expect to see the new system, which is dubbed "GBEvolution", in 2007."
seems I missed something indeed ;)
I don't mind if they wait a little - it could kill the DS early on.

·
Registered
411 Posts
cloudvii said:
Not always. Th NeoGeo old AES cartridges were sold for nearly the same prices when you compare a small game like "Zupapa" to say a big one like "Matrimelee"
Not for us, but for the company. They'd find a happy medium to charge everyone for an average to make sure they still broke out with a good profit. And there'd still be games that cost more than others like Tactics Ogre Advance did since its one of the largest carts on the GBA.

I just like carts becuase of the lack of load times. Nothin like poppin a game in, and playing it...not waiting for a dang thing. I don't mind it at home, sittin on the couch and chillin'. But when I'm on the go, I usually play my GBA in line somewhere, or play at families houses that don't have consoles.

If I'm loungin outside, then load times are fine too, but in general I like to just play it right away for 10 minutes if I want and save it then go on with my merry business ^_^.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's pretend I said next-gen gameboy instead since GBevolution might be the name of a hoax but that is separate from what David Gosen said at that ELSPA. From some things I read I am not sure if he was really referring to the GBA's successor or the micro.

Not always. Th NeoGeo old AES cartridges were sold for nearly the same prices when you compare a small game like "Zupapa" to say a big one like "Matrimelee"
I would bet dollars to dougnuts the larger game cost more to manufacture. If the price charged was the same then the larger game made less profit per cart.

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
I think they're staying with cartridges because their target audience, starting at 6+, would benefit from the more durable medium of cartridges. The things seem pretty invincible unless you truely go out of your way to do some damage. I get paranoid that my PS2 discs are getting scratched and the good ol' carts really keep me at ease. I hope they stick with cartridges for as long as possible because the last thing you need for a portable system is games that wear easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.