Next Generation Emulation banner

CDRW: Yamaha or Plextor?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  smartguy15_2000 
#1 ·
I need some advice from you guys.

I am looking at a Yamaha 20x10x40x and a Plextor 16x10x40x CD Writers.

Both have great specs and I don't know which one to get.

Yamaha is a little faster than the Plextor, but I heard Plextor is a good brand name.

So what will it be:

Yamaha or Plextor?

#3 · (Edited)
yeah i've got a yamaha 8824EZ 8/8/24.. it's really old, was cheap when i bought it, i've burned a crapload of cd's on it.. and for some reason its still alive.. :D.. I can't vouch for plextor, never had one of their drives, although from reviews i've seen.., they've always had good remarks about them.. :)

Here is a review of 20x/24x burners from tomshardware. You'll see that the two best drives are the Plextor and the one from Yamaha. With the Yamaha having more functions/cache, which makes it a bit more expensive as well.

Eleven 20x/24x CD Burners

#4 ·
when it concerns cd or dvd media japanese made hardware usually are the best, like Pioneer but you'd better check where they are made like Yamaha and Sony drives(i hear some of their parts are made elsewhere).

As for Plextor, i hear warez distributors use these for their goods...go figure(in a positive way). these drives too are on the more pricey CDRW

#7 ·
#8 ·
Originally posted by Sniper
get plextor, and use clone cd burning program, it's the best combination, with that you can copy any copy protect cd, as from plextor's old 121032 burner up, they all can read and write raw!!! very important!
if you had any question about that, check here,
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/
or the comparision and ranking of best cd burner to get is here
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_writers.shtml
Them pages aint been updated for months so I wouldnt bother with them....
If u want a drive that can BACK UP games u own then get a mitsumi as it writes in raw so theres no point paying the extra for a plextor.
I bought a new mitsumi cr - 4848te 16x a couple of months ago for £90 and the plextor 16x was £160

#9 ·
Remember - Buy what you need, and never buy that you don't really need.

Almost EVERY New CDRW brand available on the market today (anything above the 12x write speed) is capable of doing a RAW writing method. Yes, that includes TEAC, LiteOn, Plextor, Yamaha (some 12x, but most are 16x), Toshiba, Sony, Philips etc ...

So todays new CDRWs have everything you need to make a cd (specially High Buffers, have RAW+96 read mode, and RAW-DAO 96 write mode - which is the most vital) - it comeback to you , any brand is good. Take your own decision, If you have a lot of money, go for Plextor. if you limited for one, go for LiteOn, Yamaha (specially with FireWire :) , Mitsumi, Philips, or any brand.

Your choice ;)

#11 ·
Yamaha for sure... i got the semi-new one 20x10x40, it rox...burn proof...never failed once yet...it comes with Nero, very powerful tool. Clone only copies but Nero does MUCH MORE, copies, audio, ISO's, its got it all...very good deal. The one i have is at best buy for 149 i think...with $30 rebate... go fer it man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.