Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Some of the games that I have backed on CDR uses uncompressed tracks (what do you call those? I mean you can just play them on regular stereos) for in game music. After a year or two, the sound tracks start to corrupt even though the games play just fine. By 'corrupt', I mean they are perfectly accessible but they would skip around within the song. The medias I use are: Memorex and Imation.
What I'm trying to ask is this: are uncompressed music files more suspectable to CDR corruption than data files? Are there any ways to correct this problem?
Thanks.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Wrong proger CDrs tend to get corrupted if the shiny side is exposed to light (especialy sunlight) for an extended period of time, keep your CDr in a dark enviroment (Like a black jewl case) when not in ues

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of the CDs were exposed to sunlight since they were all kept inside my room.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Sometimes crappy CDrs would "rot" and get corupted, the game runs fine probily because it runs off our hdd instalation as for the audio runs from your partialy corrupt CDs

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
It seems that CDr's tend to have a shorter life span than CD's which were bought in stores. Because the blank cdr's do not have some data protection layers.

Do you happen to know how old those discs are?

2 Proger: Yes you explained what CDA was, but that was not his question :p

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Player-X: I did fresh installations; there was nothing left on my HD. There's one instance where even the .exe file was corrupt.

Cid: They are about 2 years old on avg. But I *thought* Imation and Memorex discs are at least able to last longer than that.

Proger: Ah, I see.

Thanks everyone.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
The last 200 years thing was tested in a simulated enviroment that "simulates" 200 years in a "perfect" enviroment, in the real world the lifespan is around one year

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Well I've had some Imation discs burned by my cousin, and AFAIK they aren't that good anymore either.... and they are about 2 years old as well. I never bought that brand myself, for that reason.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Well, I've never had a problem with memorex, but STAY AWAY from imation. THEY ARE CRAP!!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My problems happen on both Memorex and Imation discs though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts