Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this emulator run off of the real playstation cds? I do not have a cd burner and I was planing on purchasing all the final fantasys and playing them straight from the cd. I heard that this emulator can only read iso. Don't know much about this stuff and if anyone can give a newbie some info, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Yeah,you can run your games directly from the CD,but it will give you much better performences when playing from ISOs.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Just as a side note, you don't need a cd burner to make isos, your regular cd drive can do that. That way once you've bought the games you can get the better performance by archiving them to your drive. Wheee!!!

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
but if you don´t want to make isos, you can run the games from the cd directly, and hey is great you want to staart whit final fantasies (great selection :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Also wondering, what program do I use to copy the cd to iso format? Can WinImage do this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
With FF IX, i've got some major sluttering with the cds so i made an iso : it's day and night on my system (pioneer scsi dvd : 6x/40x).

It may be my settings or maybe the windows irq sharing (my scsi cards and my sblive share the same irq), but as i've got a lot of free space on my hdd, i haven't search any further.

Btw, as previously stated ; great start with FF (i did the same one month ago with FF9, and i will order soon FF8 and some other psx rpgs -- u can rf to my recent thread in general discussion :) )

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Also wondering, what program do I use to copy the cd to iso format? Can WinImage do this?
I think so, but there are better programs for this task. Try Blindwrite, Isobuster or CloneCD, they seem to be the favorites around here.

[]s Badaro

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Aegnor
With FF IX, i've got some major sluttering with the cds so i made an iso : it's day and night on my system (pioneer scsi dvd : 6x/40x).

It may be my settings or maybe the windows irq sharing (my scsi cards and my sblive share the same irq), but as i've got a lot of free space on my hdd, i haven't search any further.
I think it's just the way the CD-ROM plug-ins work. Mine also has significant stuttering. It also gets rather noisy with the CD constantly spinning up and down. I just wish it would spin the CD at a constant rate like in VGS, I think it would get rid of the performance issues with CDs. I was playing DOA and the CD would spin up for loading data and spin down for the music during fights but then at one point it began spinning at a fixed rate and there were no stuttering or pauses during loading at all. Just smooth, quiet emulation.I just wish it would stay like that all the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's just the way the CD-ROM plug-ins work. Mine also has significant stuttering. It also gets rather noisy with the CD constantly spinning up and down. I just wish it would spin the CD at a constant rate like in VGS, I think it would get rid of the performance issues with CDs. I was playing DOA and the CD would spin up for loading data and spin down for the music during fights but then at one point it began spinning at a fixed rate and there were no stuttering or pauses during loading at all. Just smooth, quiet emulation.I just wish it would stay like that all the time

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------DemiGod79

It does this because your cdrom spinsdown when it is inactive for like 20sec. This goes for all cdroms simply because making it run constantly puts wear and tear on you cd drive which shortens life. I on the other hand have a toshiba dvd drive. This littlle baby is the only one that offers a program were you can turn off the spin downs. So each time I play a game, I turn it off to get best performance. When I am done, I turn it back on so my drive doesnt die on me in a year. Wish the other cdrom companys would offer this , but for some odd reason they don't. If you want to solve your little slow downs in games, get a toshiba drive(Any drive will do). You must also locate the program, which is extremlly hard to find.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
It does this because your cdrom spinsdown when it is inactive for like 20sec. This goes for all cdroms simply because making it run constantly puts wear and tear on you cd drive which shortens life.
Some companies claim that running the cdrom at a max speed all the time uses too much energy and then they make their drives spin down to save energy to comply with the EPA...
The wear damage is due to bad quality material used to make those drives cheaper...

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I'm not really talking about spin-downs. It just spins faster and/or slower, depending on the situation, without actually spinning down completely (unless I leave it idling for a few seconds). In some games the CD-ROM spins up to horrendous speeds (Crono Cross) and it results in a fair amount of stuttering during loading times. CC is especially bad because it tends to load data during the battle setup routine and also during the victory sequence/menu. In other games it spins at a slow, fixed rate which loads data just as fast but without stuttering or any performance hit. I just wish all games ran at a slow, fixed spin rate so I wouldn't have to resort to ISOs. In VGS I had no performance problems running CC from the CD, as well as any other game.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts