Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that my cd-drive has suddenly lost its ability to detect cds. When I put a cd in, the cd drive spins the cd and the LED is on, however, no data is read. Instead my computer freezes, with absolutley no error messages, no warning or anything. The LED of the cd drive is still on and the cd is still spinning.

Also when I do a cold boot, my cd drive gives off this really loud motor sound as if it was a car or motorcycle that is being turned on. Now that sound doesn't exist anymore from my cd-drive when I do the cold boot. Windows can detect a cd drive being connected, but I don't know whether it is the OS or the cd hardware that is refusing to read the data.

BTW my cds are perfectly fine, it has been tested on other computers, so all cds being tested here are error free.

Internet sites say that it may be the registry but I am not sure. This problem seems to have evolved gradually in the following steps:

2 months after buying: Loud noise emitting from cd drive during cold boot but quiets after 10-20 secs.

another month after: Loud noise plus decreased rate of data transfer. Meaning that it took longer for me to transfer data and or read and access data on cd.

presently: Autoplay feature seems to have ceased to exist at this point. nothing autoplays anymore. Windows XP freezes sometimes when accessing cd or when you are ejecting and changing cds.

So what do you think?? It is still exchangable and warranty still exists. But if it is just a simple OS registry error than I could avoid the hassle of going to the store to change something that is fine right from the start.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
I think you've got a defective cd drive and you should try another one, if the problem persists it's the windows fault if it doesn't it's the drive (just follow the logic)

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
try deleting the cdrom from the device manager and have it redetected by winXP to get back its driver when you reboot.. if the problem still persist, I suggets you consult the hardware manufacturer about the problem and have the warranty take effect if the problem is non-repairable...

·
Registered
669 Posts
my brother's dvd-rom suddenly stopped working a while ago. it shows up in WinXP, but it doesn't detect CDs. It seems to work perfectly in my own computer though oO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts