Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, if anyone checks my history, you'll see I do not start new threads until I've THOROUGHLY searched. That being said, I've scanned several forums, but haven't found an exact answer to a question I have:

what is a CURRENT (as of 9/25/04) website for either CloneCD, or any other "free/trial" cd burner? My windows xp goes to a blue screen alot, meaning I cannot rely on a program that burns ISO's that won't allow you to pick back up a burning where you left off.

I got to 506,000kb with Saga Frontier 2, and then BAM!!! Blue screen, and I was using Nero.
So unless there's some trick to Nero I don't know of; I have to start the process ALL OVER. It took it 11 hrs to get to 85%!!!! So I'd rather try to find CloneCD, which I heard will allow you to pick back up on an old burning, or another program.

Any ideas/programs guys?

(If this question is in any way illegal; my apologies)

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
first of all, try Alcohol120%. it has a free trial, if you like it, buy it, because it rules.

also, you're in the wrong forum. moved to Software Discussion.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
I thought so, too, until I backed up a DVD. Now I use DVD Decrypter for DVDs and CloneCD (www.slysoft.com) for CDs. You can even make DVD Decrypter use the CloneCD CDIO libraries.

Edit: I just read that CloneCD 5 also copies DVDs. I don't know if it is as good as DVD Decrypter, but I will test it ASAP.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
> It took it 11 hrs to get to 85%!!!!

do the cd have scratches??? I encounter this when the disk have data error due to scratches...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have an xp, xp is a wery touchy feely OS if anything is wrong it will actualy shuts down when it encounters an error, but it never goes to a blue screen, It sounds like your system is encountering an critical error and then trying to shut down, there are setings that you could change to prevent this from happening, you may need to update your bios, drivers, you may also have ALOT of viruses or spyware, you may even need to format you drive..Reasons for a slow burn process is maybe a slow CD/DVD drive, but i had a 4x and it never took me longer that 20 minutes to purn anything..You should also try different CDs/DVD's .In any case it sounds like you have a serrious problem..

If you want ot research this further I can give u some links..

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
F-3582 said:
I thought so, too, until I backed up a DVD. Now I use DVD Decrypter for DVDs and CloneCD (www.slysoft.com) for CDs. You can even make DVD Decrypter use the CloneCD CDIO libraries.

Edit: I just read that CloneCD 5 also copies DVDs. I don't know if it is as good as DVD Decrypter, but I will test it ASAP.
well for dual layer DVDs, if you use DVD decrypter, you are gonna need a dual layer disc so it fits. a good program for copying DVDs is DVD Shrink, it lets you check out all teh stuff on a DVD (so you can delete, for example, the French audio track you'll never listen to) and rip it/burn it.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I think the solution to your problem is not so much in finding a burning software that can resume burns but more finding out the reason why your system crashes on a frequent basis. An unstable system will do more than affect your burning, but it can corrupt huge amounts of data and interrupt important work you might do (like writing an important essay for school). XP is a very stable system and BSOD errors say to me that there is something very seriously wrong with your system and you need to locate it and eliminate it ASAP. You can try the software others have mentioned but a crashing system is never a good thing and should not be ignored. A crash might even corrupt your burn and not allow it to resume later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have a compaq, and it was released with some glitch in winxp, but the cd they sent to fix it is long gone (um...lets say it was mistaken for someone elses cd in a break up *_*) Anyway, I would like to know; how do you get rid of spyware and such? Virus scanners never seem to work (there's a missing file for norton anti virus) and as far as spyware goes, I'm not very good at computers themselves; so any help tips settings, etc, would be MUCH appreciated. Oh, and yes the cd is very scratched. Borrowed it from a friend and he had tried to cd clean it (I can tell from the circular "scrudges" on the back) and burning to ISO has fixed an otherwise useless cd for me before (think Koudelka).

Anyway, thanks guys, been a big help :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, sorry for back to back posts, but Zen Master, I'd love some links to helpful sites, and also, sorry about posting in wrong topic. ^_^

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
There are a number of spyware/adware removers on the internet such as Spyware Doctor or Ad-Aware. Can't really recommend you anything specific. Note that some of the more annoying spy/adware software cannot be removed by these programs. For the most stealthy spy/adware you need a powerful tool like hijackthis as well as a thorough scanning and cleaning of the registry and file system.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
do you have SP2 for win XP installed? because yesterday I was instaling my nero (forgot the number but it begins with 6.x) and in the instalation a got a report that said :this nero version can occure errors, please upgrade.... and such :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KanedA said:
do you have SP2 for win XP installed? because yesterday I was instaling my nero (forgot the number but it begins with 6.x) and in the instalation a got a report that said :this nero version can occure errors, please upgrade.... and such :)

Where could I upgrade at?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm...as a side note to all this, I have to wonder...is there anywhere you guys could send me to learn more about computer upkeep, and such?

Also, the CD was obviously the problem...SaGa frontier 1 just got burned to image file in 8 minutes!!!!

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
hushypushy said:
well for dual layer DVDs, if you use DVD decrypter, you are gonna need a dual layer disc so it fits. a good program for copying DVDs is DVD Shrink, it lets you check out all teh stuff on a DVD (so you can delete, for example, the French audio track you'll never listen to) and rip it/burn it.
Of course. I use this program, too, but there are ... like ... other sorts of DVDs I sometimes back up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts