Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Caustic Graphics is planning to take on graphics chip makers with a new way of rendering images that can enhance realism and improve cost efficiency.
The San Francisco start-up, formed by ex-Apple engineers, is using ray-tracing, a technique that has been proven in animated films but remains a subject of intense debate among graphics experts. The Wall Street Journal reported the story today. Caustic Graphics promises far more realistic 3-D graphics than are possible today.

With ray-tracing, a graphics program such as a game draws 3-D images by shooting rays outward from a certain point in a 3-D image. If the ray actually hits something, an object such as a tree, the graphics program doesn’t waste any time creating the scenery behind the tree because it is hidden from view.

Intel has been touting ray-tracing for years now, but many experts say that is only a marketing pitch. Ray-tracing is more easily done with a microprocessor, with a large amount of cache memory, than on a traditional graphics chips. Graphics chips usually employ something called rasterization, where they render everything in a scene in a given pass, and then add layers of details such as shadows or lighting in subsequent passes.

It remains to be seen if ray-tracing is the best way to capture complex images like the one to the right. Ray-tracing has been tough to do because microprocessors haven’t been powerful enough. But computers are getting faster and some say that ray-tracing’s time has come. Others, such as Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices — the graphics chip vendors who use rasterization — say that it makes sense to use a hybrid of ray-tracing and rasterization. Nvidia bought its own ray-tracing firm last year.

Caustic Graphics, one of the first new graphics startups in a long time, will likely challenge that view with its own approach. The company says has software and hardware that can speed up ray-tracing by about 20-fold over today’s PC hardware. It claims it will launch chips by 2010 that will be 200 times faster.

The copmany was founded by James McCombe, 26, of Northern Ireland. It has 35 employees and has raised $11 million. That’s not much, considering the company is competing with multi-billion-dollar rivals. The company plans on targeting architects, engineers and animators first. Then it will focus on entertainment applications on PCs and game consoles.
Sauce: Caustic Graphics to create graphics chips with novel ray-tracing technology - NYTimes.com

Caustic Graphics :: Realtime Raytracing :: Company

Fascinating claims from Causic Graphics. Just don't expect to see games implementing the tech soon.

The Caustic One, aimed to sit alongside the CPU/GPU combo to take care of the raytracing for your system in realtime, is their first product and with their software, a modified version of OpenGL, it will apparently allow modern computers to use raytracing in realtime, by alleviating some of the constraints of current hardware/software. Details of this little card are expected to be released in April.

more here http://www.caustic.com/caustic-rt_caustic-one.php

Audia R8 digital drawing using raytracing. Sexy no?

On gaming:
It's been a while since a PC graphics company has made a big challenge to the big Three (Intel, Nvidia, ATI) in terms of supporting games. The last such company was 3dfx who championed the 3D acceleration movement in the late 1990s but couldn't keep up the pace and was sold to Nvidia.

Today a new company called Caustic Graphics has officially announced its presence with claims that their PC graphics product will be able to out perform current solutions by up to 20 times. It also claims that their second-generation product, due out in early 2010, will have 200 times (and that's not a typo) the performance of current solutions. Caustic Graphics will base their graphics product on raytracing, a graphics technique that allows for highly realistic looking 3D graphics. Raytracing has also proven to have issues with performance in the past but Caustic claims their technology "enables highly parallel CPUs and GPUs to massively-accelerate raytracing, putting it on par with rasterization and resulting in cinema-quality 3D delivered interactively on low-cost PCs."

The San Fransisco-based Caustic plans to reveal more info about their first product in April 2009. At the moment they are targeting high end computing needs but we suspect that PC gaming is also in their plans.
sauce: http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/03/10/new-pc-graphics-uses-ray-tracing-for-possible-game-graphics-im/

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
You can tell the image is computer generated...look at the dice. Light never lays flat over an image.

Theres one problem with raytracing....its a 90 pound weakling at rasterising, which 99% of gaming devs base they're API's on

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Its the reason car companies dont throw away the clay yet.

Light does not splay over an object at one trajectory or intensity...it defuses or infuses

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Sorry to ask i m noob to this does that mean dx 11 will has this feature

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Sauce: Caustic Graphics to create graphics chips with novel ray-tracing technology - NYTimes.com

Caustic Graphics :: Realtime Raytracing :: Company

Fascinating claims from Causic Graphics. Just don't expect to see games implementing the tech soon.

The Caustic One, aimed to sit alongside the CPU/GPU combo to take care of the raytracing for your system in realtime, is their first product and with their software, a modified version of OpenGL, it will apparently allow modern computers to use raytracing in realtime, by alleviating some of the constraints of current hardware/software. Details of this little card are expected to be released in April.

more here Caustic Graphics :: Realtime Raytracing :: CausticRT :: CausticOne

Audia R8 digital drawing using raytracing. Sexy no?

On gaming:

sauce: New PC graphics uses ray tracing for (possible) game graphics improvements

I still see the typical triangle/polygon edge side effect (look at the mirirors closely and you'll see what im talking about)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ATI's trueform should've been adopted more readily.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Is that laptop ram on that card? That'd be a novel concept (Upgradable ram on a GPU), however I imagine the fastest laptop ram (DDR2-800?) would be kind of slow.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
I still dont know what ray tracing are isnt crysis has those effect the car look like nfs undercover help

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Cool link snicko.

I'm just questioning the survivability of the tech itself. The image does look fantastic, but i wonder how much traction this technology will hold in these economic rough times. Its difficult enough getting lots of people to buy highend graphics cards, enough to get game makers to tailor make games for high end systems, other than crysis and one or 2 other exception.

I kinda doubt there will be enough people out there who would buy this (my guess +$150) supplimental card ontop of a fancy videocard, to create insentive for developers to start implementing this feature in their games. I think it has a bit better chance of gaining traction the ageia physX cards, but i kinda doubt it'll gain enough traction to survive and thrive and multiply.

It may be a couple years down the road, we may see this tech survive in a new form in hybrid rasterizing/raytracing videocards. Kinda like the advent of the 2d/3daccelerator boards back in the late 90s. At first the 3d accelerators were separate cards from the 2d boards.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really can't see many developers using this any time soon. Probably won't see this tech in the next round of home consoles, but I do think that the film industry will want to invest in some of this tech, especially companies like Pixar. Should some of these companies get competent at this tech then they ought to be able to add a few new dimensions to their toolset, providing that it can be enough of a visual difference for their projects.

This is assuming though that raytracing can improve over what rasterizing can currently achieves. But even still, the fact that this power hungry technique of providing visuals can become more cost effective to use in the near future is pretty damn neat.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
its not the memory spead that matters, its how wide the interface bits are.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts