Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Catalyst 4.11 wasnt enough for you, Terry Makedon has just posted in our forums that ATI have offically released 4.12 beta driver. In his own words .... " if you are planning on playing a hot new game in the next few days, I really recommend you use these drivers. Of course they only work on ATI cards..." , gee I wonder does he mean Half Life 2 ?

Games hang using PunkBuster Online Gaming Servers
The information in this article applies to the following configurations:

* RADEON 9500 or Higher
* PunkBuster Online Gaming Servers
* Windows XP

Random hanging has been observed with certain games on certain systems when using the PunkBuster server.

To resolve this issue, please download CATALYST 4.12 Beta Release which resolves the majority of cases of this hang.

This is posted on ATI's site here and you can discuss in Terrys thread on the forums over here

****info from driverheaven.net****
http://www.driverheaven.net/#news61061

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I think I'm gonna try these out and skip the 4.11's :) Just one things though. Since they are official ATi, should I scrap my 4.10's or just install these over them like a regular release?

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Okay just wondering. Thanks for the news Guyver :)

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
nice, have u tried? did u see the post on driverheaven? there is many people complimenting them, performance increase on HL2 CS:S and even 3dmark05 so this would be performance enhance on some dx9 games also, im gonna wait till omega's 4.12beta are out, shouldnt take long, but people who wanna try it, there is a little rule trying betas, first try it, if it gives u any problem report to ATI and return to ur last set (or whatever set u want by that matter). Please if it gives u any problem report back to ATI, thats what betas are out for

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Sorry I havn't tried yet. I wanna set up my computer with a few benchmarks before I test these so I can compare properly :) (fresh installation) So I gotta install some stuff :p

·
5,797 Posts
i hope u talking about game benchmarks :)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Of course :) I just finished installing some games so I'll run some game tests so I can compare the fps. I'll also try to see if there is any quality differences.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
HL2 Stress Test

Settings:
1600*1200*32
Everything set to Max
6x FSAA
16x AF
Vsync off

Tweaked 4.11

Just installed (meaning not tweaked :p) 4.12

Didnt notice any quality diferences. Gonna try again tomorow after i tweaked everything. I'll probably gain more 10fps or something

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well I have yet to benchmark with the 4.12's but I have been playing NFSU2 and I am definately seeing some fps improvement. :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
After some tweaks ^^

12 fps increase. Not bad, not bad at all, and no longer my fps go to 1 when the bomb explodes in CS:S :p

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Could you post these tweaks???

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Sure

Hum, disable the secondary diplay, disable VPU Recovery, disable Smart Gart, Fast Write off, disable Alternate DVI operation mode. and finaly i used TuneXP to tweak XP best way possible.

Btw u might get some corruption with these tweaks in other games (aka Doom 3 nasty white spots :p)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
OK tnx i will try that as soon as i get home.

·
5,797 Posts
how can u disable SmartGart? (i hope u are not talking about the "ATI Smart" service)

also i dont see a way how those settings are supposed to do glitches on games :O i use those settings (except the smartgart disabled) everytime, and do never see any of those glitches

anyway nice speedup, can u try any other game than HL2? i know it is supposed to increase speed only on this game buit should be nice to see improvements somewhere else, i would do the tests myself, but my card is almost dead :p

·
5,797 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Its exactly the smartgart that makes those nasty white dots in Doom 3 :p And you can disable it in bios. Not much performance increase (around 2 fps or something) but, every little thing counts for me. :p

oh and i would have tested it with other games but i dont feel like instaling old drivers again :/ maybe after im tired of HL2 ^^

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts