Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, this could probably be applied to any 2D game, but can anyone give me a rough idea to the optimum settings for playing Symphony of the Night? I'm using Pete's D3D Driver 1.75 with the scph1001 BIOS.

My specs are:

INTEL Pentium 4 3Ghz
ATI Radeon 9100 IGP
512 MB O-board RAM

Also, while I'm here, how do you stop FMV sequences from going at ridiculously fast speeds.

If anyone wants to help, thanks in advance.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't have any Open GL shaders, so I just took your advice and transposed to the D3D ones. It looks good. Thanks for your help.

As for specific problems... does anyone know how to solve the break-up in the pixels? In the introductory fight, Dracula's cape seems to have... for want of a better word, seams visible. White lines that slightly break the sprite up, making the cape look like it was patched out of four squares. Would anyone know how to fix that little problem?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChankastRules said:
I'd use the p.E.o.P.s soft plugin, myself.
Great. That seems to have fixed it. But now the sound plug-in's out of whack. Slight distortion and cracking.

Anyone care to recommend to me an appropriate sound plug-in for SotN?

Thanks for all the help so far. Really appreciate it.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me again.

Having decided to transfer eveything to my main rig (I was trying to restore my little brother's long-lost PSX collection on his system), I tried using Pete's Open GL 2 drivers. It worked well enough, but p.e.o.p.s. looked a whole lot crisper, so I decided to stick with it. The 3D effects aren't as nice, but still prettier than if I was using a real PSX.

The problem is, Eternal SPU seems to have real compatibility issues with p.e.o.p.s. All sorts of cracking and tearing that never ocurred with Pete's plague my game. Messing around with the buffer doesn't seem to be doing anything than delaying anything that isn't background music.

If anyone has an alternative/solution and the time to help me out (yet again) I would be most grateful.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No such luck. I've even tinkered with p.e.o.p.s.'s own sound driver, but this cracking in the background just seems to get worse and worse.

I'm using a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit, if that has any relevance.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done some extensive fiddling, and I think I'm better off just switching to Pete's Open GL 2. A pity, seeing as how it makes anything 2D look damn fuzzy, but I've reached the end of my tether here.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The Audio's still oddly slow.

Actually, it may be best for those who have SotN working perfectly on their systems to tell me the specifics of their ePSXe configuration (preferably with p.e.o.p.s.). A tall order, I know, but I'm beginning to think that's the only solution. There's a hell of a lot of variables to test by myself, after all.

I'd also like to thank everybody for their help thus far. Progress has been made despite my belly-aching. That, and I've never encountered a friendlier board. Cheers, one and all.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oops. Turns out I was using an older P.E.Op.S driver.

That, and this could simply have been me over-estimating my CPU. See, the stuttering stops when I turn off the Super 2 X SAI shader.

I have a 3 GHz Athlon with a Radeon 9600 Pro and 1 Gig of on-board RAM, so I don't think it was unreasonable to have thought the system could have handled it...

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
640 x 480, 60 Hz (matching my refresh rate, I checked). Not that intensive.

Doesn't really matter, there's another shader that works that's almost as pretty. Though, every so often things'll slowdown for 2-3 seconds. Perhaps it's the game, but there's not usually that much on-screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.