Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this fall into the Hardware section or this one.
I want to buy a car mp3/cd player and some speakers.
How many watts are recommended so it sounds good? As i understand it's not only about the wattage of the speakers but the player itself too.
How many tweaters/ subwoofers and/or combinations? Is a box containing a set of speakers reccomended? I want a loud sound (a drum and bass lover here) but able to play songs like the ff ost crystal clear.

I'm a total noob regarding this stuff.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i'd really recommend going elsewhere as 99.99% of the people here are car newbs.

anyway, all i gotta say is don't cheap out. you can basically get component (3 way) speakers, or you can get 2 way speakers and a subwoofer. whatever you do, dont just power it by the headunit. they are usually like ~200 watts (4x50 or something) and arent powerful enough to drive 3 ways and DEFINITELY not enough to drive a subwoofer.

you're going to probably want a 200 watt headunit, and then get like a 2000 watt 4 way amp for the door speakers (assuming you have 4 door speakers) and then get a 1000 watt mono amp for your subwoofer(s).

remember, DONT CHEAP OUT!! get good speakers like Infinity or something, get a GOOD subwoofer like a Kicker or Rockford Fosgate. get GOOD amps like a Kenwood. if you really need help, dont ask the guy at the shop! it may sound obvious, but they just want you to spend money. are any of your friends experienced in this sort of thing? i'd recommend going down to the shop with them and seeing waht you can get.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I don't recommend two seperate amps for a first timer.. Best to get a good 6 channel, and use two chans bridges for your sub and the others for speakers. Set of components are a good idea for the front, and for a bit of rear fill a good set of 6x9's on high pass may be a good idea.

·
The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, the advice was good. I'm going tomorrow to check at the stores and see what i can get. I intended to get an idea before going to buy because i didn't want to ask the delaer due to mentioned reasons.
My car already has 4 speakers but i wanted to change the rear ones and get a subwoofer as i'm upgrading from radio to mp3/cd.
The amp suggestions seem like a reasonable idea while the bridges may be a little harder i think but i guess i'm going to know tomorrow. Hey, thanks a lot.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,522 Posts
>remember, DONT CHEAP OUT!! get good speakers like Infinity or something, get a GOOD subwoofer like a Kicker or Rockford Fosgate. get GOOD amps like a Kenwood.

No, no, no, and more no. Ok maybe not that many no's.

But no to the Kicker for damn sure. They make alot of noise, thats about it. I can live with the Infintiy suggestion for midranges, but thats about it. Hellll no to the Kenwwod amp too.

Sub, go JL Audio, a nice 10W1 or even a W0 would work wonders. As far as amps go, Rockford, or JBL, or Phoenix Gold.

Head unit I would like to say Clarion, but they can get pretty pricey, Pioneer would be my next choice under them.

I have built 2 local winning car audio setups, SPL drag and quality.

Basicly like hushy said, do not cheap out, get the best you can afford, or you will be replacing it in 6 months when it fries.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
moomoomoo said:
I don't recommend two seperate amps for a first timer.. Best to get a good 6 channel, and use two chans bridges for your sub and the others for speakers. Set of components are a good idea for the front, and for a bit of rear fill a good set of 6x9's on high pass may be a good idea.
if you arent gonna recommend two amps then dont even recommend a sub in the first place. in my opinion, if you're not going to do it right, don't even do it.

if that's the case, just go for 3 way speakers and one powerful amp.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,522 Posts
My buddy is running a 6ch Phoenix Gold amp, and it works like a charm in his 91 CRX Si. JL Audio all the way around. 1x10W6 in a ported box, 2 sets of 4.25"/1" mid/tweets, 2x3.5" 2way mounted in the center air vents, and 2x MB Quart 1" tweets on either side of the dash. All running off of the same PG amp (can't remember the model right now). Clarion DXZ955MC MP3 head unit (touch screen), sounds phoenominal.

Even the guys at the local car audio shop were blown away.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Which is proof, if proof be needed, that a single amp is perfectly sufficient in spite of what Hushy said. My JBL GTO6000 drives my setup. We're not talking to an audio expert here, there's no point in recommending extremily expensive gear when he probably won't notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
ok, i'll believe it when i hear it. maybe my standards are a little too high, neh? sorry that im used to my friends with 5000+ watt systems that run off dual batteries, etc...how much are you willing to spend anyway? i dont think you covered that :p if it were me, i'd set aside ~$2000 USD for it.. but yeah that's just me ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts
hushypushy said:
ok, i'll believe it when i hear it. maybe my standards are a little too high, neh? sorry that im used to my friends with 5000+ watt systems that run off dual batteries, etc...how much are you willing to spend anyway? i dont think you covered that :p if it were me, i'd set aside ~$2000 USD for it.. but yeah that's just me ;)
Are you saying you haven't heard systems that were cheaper, and still sound reasonable? If so then you really can't comment, I doubt all of your friends have spent that much on their systems.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
hmm, i've heard a ~$1500 system that sounded nice, IIRC Punch door speakers and subs. not bad.

depends on how much boom boom you want :evil:

·
Honda Civic
948 Posts
hmmm I have been doing car audio for 5-6 years now and I know cheap and I know effective and cheap, i would suggest kicker tweaters, or pioneer 2or 3 way 6 1/2, 6X9's and for subs, well jl is top of the line and over priced IMO, I think kicker subs work great as well as kenwood subs, kenwood is the cheapest of the bunch but the sound good and they kick and for size I would go with 10"s and for an amp there is no way around it anps aren't cheap I would suggest a kicker or a rockford amp depending on the if you get a dual or single voice coil speaker would determine the amount of channels you want for your amp, and for a head unit, pioneer mp3/cd you can get nicer ones for cheaps than like kenwood ect.

to some it up you don't have to go big and expensive to get good solid sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.