Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

i've got a big problem concerning psmplay. I'm using the newest test-version with the ability to open the ff9-movies. When i try to export movies from ff9 some avi-data is written to the hdd, but i can't open it! virtualdub doesn't know which format, wmp says that he is missing the required codec... i tried to export it as divx-movie under win2000! any reply could be helpful! thank you!

S

·
0 Posts
oh, btw, does anybody here know good freeware compression/conversion utilities for movies?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Well
One more thing I know is Virtualdub can't covert AVI 2 DivX file directly it no sound...............
You must covert to MPEG first before covert 2 DivX
Anyway I have still problem to covert MPEG to 15 fps :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's false, you can convert any type of AVI movies to DivX movies (that are also AVI movies :D).
I make often DivX VideoCDs and my video sources are always Indeo Video 5.11 AVIs. But, as said, you can use any other codec, there is absolutely no problem.
The only problem that exists in Virtual Dub is the sound. Virtual Dub can't compress PCM sound to MP3. You must first convert the PCM sound to WAV and then you can compress to MP3. I recommend 96 kbps for movies.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well nearly there bobotns. If you are extracting the audio from the video file its true that virtualdub can't compress the output audio file. However it can compress mp3 audio within the avi file. In order to do this you will need a mp3 codec such as radiums. Then under audio which to full processing mode and then select compression. Select the mp3 codec and bitrate etc. and it will use mp3 sound in the avi. Don't forget that compressing audio in avis is as important as the actual video, a fact most people forget. Using this method I am able to backup my dvds onto zip disks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
1) When I try to compress directly from PCM (=AVI Audio) to mp3 (I have the codec of Kalisto Studio), Virtual Dub crashes.

2) Virtual Dub doesn't recognise the audio of movies that I capture with FreeTV AA. So it ignores the audio part and encodes just the video part :eyes: , so I must extract the audio with another tool anyway and choose the WAV audio in Virtual Dub, so that it compresses it to MP3 in synch with the video.

3) you says that you backup DVDs on ZIP disks (250MB I suppose)?! for a 90 min. film, you will then have 96 (64) kbps MP3 audio and... ~ 260 (290) kbps for DivX video... outch... bad bad bad... you may have a bad image quality, havn't you?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well actually its better than that. Most dvds are in widecreen. However my monitor is not. This leaves me 2 options , to encode the disk and have black bars accross the screen (Very wasteful) or to "pan and scan" the movie. The advantage with the latter is that it cuts the size of the movie down also (to around about 320*240) which cuts the file size in half (around 300mb) :cool:. Then as you suggested I chop the sound quality down to the worst that I can get away with. You are correct when you suggest that there is quality loss however.

I'll take a look at the others when I switch to my main machine later

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Ok I assume that freetv is a cature program as I can't for the life of me find any refernce to it anywhere. If it is a capture program why not try the interal cature mode of virtualdub? I have a hauppauge tv card and it works fine.

The mp3 codec that you are using is the scource of the problem IMHO. Virtualdub is more likely to crash when using hacked codecs. This is so common that it scanns your machine for the radium codec on the first startup and displays a warning if found. I don't know much about Kalistos so try a different one. I have no crashes when using radiums codec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts