Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a PC wheel (wingman formula) and i'm trying to use it in the epsxe emulator, gran turismo 2 game.
I have this pad setup:

as you can see, the ePSXe recognize the wheel because I can setup the X and Y axis. And while playing the game, I press F5 to start analog mode, but in the options, it says to me that the analog option is not available (N/A).
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
The first thing I see wrong here is that you've got one axis of your wheel assigned to both axes of your virtual controller's left analog stick. Ditto on the right analog stick. Perhaps this is confusing ePSXe?

The second is that you've got keys that have special functions in Windows (control, left-menu) mapped to your vitual controllers buttons, and you've got one keyboard key (lmenu) mapped to two buttons. This probably isn't causing the digital/analog problem you're having, but it can't be helping.

Next, some troubleshooting advice: try to isolate the problem by swapping out various components to see if things get better or worse. If you've got another joystick or joypad, try that instead of the wheel and see if things get better. Try a different emulator and vary your pad plugins. Try the wheel with a different game that supports analog and see if it recognizes it.

Also, start GT2 with your current setup and go to the options page where you can remap the controller buttons. Hit F5 a few times and see if the display for the steering control (upper left of the screen) switches back and forth between showing arrow keys and an analog stick icon.

Finally, if you could post a screenshot showing the N/A message, that would help.

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dan, thanks for helping!
I've never tried a wheel on the ePSXe, so I'm not really familiar.
I assume the wheel has only 2 axis: X and Y, so I thought the left analog stick should be set up to the X axis and the right analog stick to the Y axis.
In fact, when I select the first one (the blue one) and I move the wheel left and right, that's the result (J1_LX). when I select the second one (the red one) and I move the wheel left and right, that's the result too (J1_LX). When I select the third one (the blue one), and I press my pedal, I get a J1_LY (no matter if it's the gas or brake), and the same for the last one. All this, just to say that I can only get two axis: J1_LX and J1_LY.
Reading what you said, it seems that the blue and the red on the same stick shouldn't have the same "name", isn't it? In that case, I don't know what to do ... :(
I don't have any other joystick to test, but I do have a gun, and it works fine selecting Digital/gun and switching with F5 in the game.
I've tried the padNRagePlugin pad plugin but with no success (to make the plugin work, i just need to put it in the plugin folder, isn't it?)
Well, I'll post the screenshot as soon as possible.

Thanks again

·
Registered
654 Posts
ePSXe doesn't work with pad plugins, I'm sorry to say. To try a different pad plugin, you'll have to use a different emulator (like PSXeven or sssPSX).

GT2 doesn't use the right analog stick at all, so put the wheel on left stick horizontal and gas/brake on left stick vertical (also you could in addition try putting gas on X and brake on square, don't know how well that would work). Assign the right stick axes to the keyboard or leave them unassigned.

Also, make sure that any profiler software that comes with your wheel is turned off or set to no profile.

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried the PSXeven emulator and the padGnneco plugin. Now, at least, the wheel is recognize in the emulator, although I have to set up several things, because it is not playable. The car is out of control, it seems there is too much sensibility. I've tried to change the values in the options, but with no success yet. I'll try later again, but, if I'm getting too much troubles, I think I'll just play PC racing games. This is driving me crazy!!

Cheers

·
Registered
654 Posts
It could be that to use the wheel with a PSX emulator you might need to adjust (in Control Panel) its dead zone and sensitivity where you don't for MAME or PC games.

It's also possible that since GT2 was not designed to work with a wheel, the control compromises the developers put in to make it usable with a DualShock analog stick make it not very good with a wheel (unlike GT3 on the PS2).

For one thing, the analog sticks don't have a lot of resolution. I haven't verified this myself, but I've been told that the sticks only have something like 5 or 7 distinct positions on each axis. For another, while the DualShock analog stick doesn't lend itself to fine-grained control, it does lend itself to tapping. I know that when I play GT2 on Playstation or emulation, I tend to tap the analog stick because it's very sensitive.

It's also possible that your pad plugin doesn't support wheels very well - maybe it only does -Max, 0, +Max.

You might find in the end that your best bet is to use your existing PS1 or PS2 DualShock controller with a USB adapter. I have such an adapter from Radio Shack, and find GT2 quite playable that way.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.