Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently downloaded ePSXe and cannot get it to lauch and I get a message saying missing burutter.dll but the burutter.dll file is in the extracted download folder.

Clicking the controller shortcut on my desktop immediately brings up the missing file notification, and clicking the controller in the downloads folder asks me to extract or run the application without extracting...is the compressed folder not extracted, thus not using the missing file when I attempt to open ePSXe and causing the problem I'm having ?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try Duckstation...

I fixed the ePSXe problem, I never extracted the exe file...Played Twisted Metal 4 just fine...However some games skip, like DB GT, Dave Mirra, Bloody Roar, MK4..they all frame skip I'm assuming.

· Not a Registered User
1,667 Posts
Skipping is very difficult to diagnose as it can happen for multiple reasons.

Playing on a weak PC or set the settings in Duckstation to high like playing in 8K with SSA 16x, some games may play fine but like PC games some PS1 game are more demanding than others, for example Bloody Roar is a demanding game to emulate.
Playing of a bad HDD/CD, cheap or bad HDD/CD can have skips as their seek time is to slow for the necessary data to load, to counter this you can enable "Preload image to ram" under console settings.
There maybe something wrong with your system that at certain times hogs all the PC resources for a moment choking the Duck, this ones unlikely cause as you mentioned Twisted Metal plays fine.

Edit.
Thought you meant it happens it Duckstation but the same issues still apply to ePSXe.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skipping is very difficult to diagnose as it can happen for multiple reasons.

Playing on a weak PC or set the settings in Duckstation to high like playing in 8K with SSA 16x, some games may play fine but like PC games some PS1 game are more demanding than others, for example Bloody Roar is a demanding game to emulate.
Playing of a bad HDD/CD, cheap or bad HDD/CD can have skips as their seek time is to slow for the necessary data to load, to counter this you can enable "Preload image to ram" under console settings.
There maybe something wrong with your system that at certain times hogs all the PC resources for a moment choking the Duck, this ones unlikely cause as you mentioned Twisted Metal plays fine.

Edit.
Thought you meant it happens it Duckstation but the same issues still apply to ePSXe.
GPU: Intel HD Graphics Card

CPU: Intel i3 M 330 @ 2.13GHz

· Not a Registered User
1,667 Posts
GPU: Intel HD Graphics Card

CPU: Intel i3 M 330 @ 2.13GHz
Quite the weak machine you got there but it should run PS1 games just fine again provided you don't go overboard with the settings, I would say to follow a video guide but with how often Duckstation has been updated lately most of them are outdated for certain things.
But here's a few key setting in Ducstation to watch out for.
Under console tab.
Enable "Preload to ram" this will make a game take a second or two to load at start but it will fix any hiccups caused by the HDD.
Under emulation tab.
Do not enable the rewinding feature, it's a neat feature but it is a bit complex and very demanding.
Under enhancements tab.
Set Internal Resolution rendering to automatic or whatever your screen resolution is and no higher, 3x for 720p 5x for 1080p.
Textures filtering set to nearest neighbour or bilinear other options are very demanding.
Do not enable down sampling.
Lastly don't touch anything under advanced tab.

The rest of the settings you can set however you like.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quite the weak machine you got there but it should run PS1 games just fine again provided you don't go overboard with the settings, I would say to follow a video guide but with how often Duckstation has been updated lately most of them are outdated for certain things.
But here's a few key setting in Ducstation to watch out for.
Under console tab.
Enable "Preload to ram" this will make a game take a second or two to load at start but it will fix any hiccups caused by the HDD.
Under emulation tab.
Do not enable the rewinding feature, it's a neat feature but it is a bit complex and very demanding.
Under enhancements tab.
Set Internal Resolution rendering to automatic or whatever your screen resolution is and no higher, 3x for 720p 5x for 1080p.
Textures filtering set to nearest neighbour or bilinear other options are very demanding.
Do not enable down sampling.
Lastly don't touch anything under advanced tab.

The rest of the settings you can set however you like.
Yea I know the system is pretty weak, which is why the newest consoles I will try to emulate is PSP, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube...pretty sure I can't emulate 360 or PS3 games just yet without hardware upgrades at least.

I appreciate the settings setup information. I'll try it and let you know how things go...

· Not a Registered User
1,667 Posts
Yea I know the system is pretty weak, which is why the newest consoles I will try to emulate is PSP, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube...pretty sure I can't emulate 360 or PS3 games just yet without hardware upgrades at least.

I appreciate the settings setup information. I'll try it and let you know how things go...
Sorry to say but the best that machine could do is PSP.
PS2, XBOX and GameCube are out of range for that CPU with the exception of some 2D or easy to emulate games, you can still try but don't hope for to much.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to say but the best that machine could do is PSP.
PS2, XBOX and GameCube are out of range for that CPU with the exception of some 2D or easy to emulate games, you can still try but don't hope for to much.
I'm fine with that.

I'm having trouble running Duckstation...can you help me get it running successfully ? Says it can't find the bios files, but I have the bios file in the right folder and directed correcty in the Duckstation settings..

· Not a Registered User
1,667 Posts
I'm fine with that.

I'm having trouble running Duckstation...can you help me get it running successfully ? Says it can't find the bios files, but I have the bios file in the right folder and directed correcty in the Duckstation settings..
Then you most likely got the wrong file.
Can't really help you much here as getting said file is considered piracy, the legal way is to dump the bios file of your own PS1.
Maybe you placed it in the wrong folder? By default Duckstation stores its files in your Documents folder, there you will find a Duckstation folder and inside a bios folder.
The bios file must be named correctly also for example scph5501.bin, this is for the PS1 model 5501 USA.

· Super Moderator
5,552 Posts
My laptop is on Intel HD Graphic and i3 also. I can run PSCX2 and Duckstation just fine. You can't just run Cemu, Nintendo Switch emulator and RPSC3 at all. You should be fine. Duckstation is an excellent option for you. ePSXE is so outdated. Enjoy!

Reactions: Inkognegro

· Not a Registered User
1,667 Posts
My laptop is on Intel HD Graphic and i3 also. I can run PSCX2 and Duckstation just fine. You can't just run Cemu, Nintendo Switch emulator and RPSC3 at all. You should be fine. Duckstation is an excellent option for you. ePSXE is so outdated. Enjoy!
It's not the graphic card that's the issue its that weak CPU 2ghz no turbo and only 2 cores.
In emulation the CPU os the most important part and needs to be powerful, GPU not so much.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What settings do you run on PCSX2 ? Mine frame skips horribly playing PS2 ISO's.

Having trouble installing and running Duckstation...

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then you most likely got the wrong file.
Can't really help you much here as getting said file is considered piracy, the legal way is to dump the bios file of your own PS1.
Maybe you placed it in the wrong folder? By default Duckstation stores its files in your Documents folder, there you will find a Duckstation folder and inside a bios folder.
The bios file must be named correctly also for example scph5501.bin, this is for the PS1 model 5501 USA.
SCPH-1001 is what I've been told to dump into the bios folder of the Duckstation extracted folder, but I also see SCPH-1001, SCPH-101, SCPH-7001, SCPH-5501, and SCPH-5000 are all NTSC-U/C, which I'm assuming is United States/Canada...

Which one do I place into the Duckstation bios folder ? or can I place them all in the bios folder ?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Untouched PCSX2 settings. I dont messed it up unless I have to. ^_^
Maybe I should reinstall and not touch the settings... I watched a few settings setup videos for PCSX2 and followed their instruction but maybe the setting were for a higher grade hardware and software computer/laptop, and not for my Potatoe Laptop.

· Not a Registered User
1,667 Posts
SCPH-1001 is what I've been told to dump into the bios folder of the Duckstation extracted folder, but I also see SCPH-1001, SCPH-101, SCPH-7001, SCPH-5501, and SCPH-5000 are all NTSC-U/C, which I'm assuming is United States/Canada...

Which one do I place into the Duckstation bios folder ? or can I place them all in the bios folder ?
Justo throw them all in, Duckstation will auto detect the correct files and use them, as for PCSX2 like I said don't hope for much with that CPU.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Justo throw them all in, Duckstation will auto detect the correct files and use them, as for PCSX2 like I said don't hope for much with that CPU.
Well the specific error messages I'm getting after selecting a game is:
1. Failed to load configured BIOS file 'PSX-SCPH-1001 .BIN'
2. Failed to load NTSC-U BIOS

What I have in my extracted Duckstation folder as far as bios goes, typed verbatim:
DuckStation>bios>scph1001.bin

Should I ALL CAPS the bios folder name, and add "PSX-" in front of rhe bios file name ?

I really only want the PS2 emulator for Def Jam Fight for NY and The Warriors, both are on PSP aswell though...PS2 just has better graphics.

I'm going to uninstall PCSX2 and try to run it without messing with the settings like @spotanjo3 mentioned. Only because he's running the same GPU and CPU I'm running and says PCSX2 is running fine with that setup without messing with any video or emulation settings...if that's so, I'm going to at least attempt it, but like you said, not getting my hopes.

· Super Moderator
5,552 Posts
Depends on what games you are running. My PCSX2 is running fine with some of my games such as Klonoa 2 and some. If there are too many enemies, then you would notice a slow down a little. I am getting my new desktop and it will be super faster because I am into Cemu, RPSC3, Citra and etc. Those are a no go for my laptop. And yeah, he said not to getting your hopes at all. Your bet is for getting better computer, thought. That's what I am doing.

Reactions: Inkognegro

· Not a Registered User
1,667 Posts
Well the specific error messages I'm getting after selecting a game is:
1. Failed to load configured BIOS file 'PSX-SCPH-1001 .BIN'
2. Failed to load NTSC-U BIOS

What I have in my extracted Duckstation folder as far as bios goes, typed verbatim:
DuckStation>bios>scph1001.bin

Should I ALL CAPS the bios folder name, and add "PSX-" in front of rhe bios file name ?

I really only want the PS2 emulator for Def Jam Fight for NY and The Warriors, both are on PSP aswell though...PS2 just has better graphics.

I'm going to uninstall PCSX2 and try to run it without messing with the settings like @spotanjo3 mentioned. Only because he's running the same GPU and CPU I'm running and says PCSX2 is running fine with that setup without messing with any video or emulation settings...if that's so, I'm going to at least attempt it, but like you said, not getting my hopes.
PCSX2 has a option to restore settings to default in the bottom left of the settings menu "Restore defaults"
He doesn't have the same CPU as you it's just the same family there's man different i3 CPUS, for PCSX2 you need something with at least 4 cores and 3ghz speed, that's the minimum.
Check your private messages on the site I've sent you something.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts