Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting off, here is a thread link to another forum where I posted a thread about my problem. My knowledge and understanding have evolved on it, but I'm afraid the other forums aren't quite equipped with enough forum members/ones that are knowledgable on this, so I figured I'd try to trouble shoot my issue further here. Link-
Black Screen - The Emulator Zone Forum

More or less, my issue is that I can't get my computer to read my PSX games like FF7 or Legends of Legaia. I know this because for one, I have tried doing File> Run CD-ROM in ePSXe, but only to come up with a black screen that didn't change as well as having tried ripping an ISO image from my PSX CD's, but with no luck. I've tried MagicISO, ISOBuster, Alcohol 120%, PowerISO, and CloneCD. More or less, they all have not been able to detect any CD's in my CD drive, with the exception of MagicISO, however, when I ripped the .bin image file from the FF7 in my CD drive, the .bin file was like 327 bytes.. My FF7 disc has no scratches nor smudges on it, but for the sake of effectively trouble shooting, I tried another disc as well, Legends of Legaia, with pretty much the same issue.

Anywho, if you have read that thread I linked above, you will know that I have tried installing FrogASPI, but to no avail. I have isolated the problem down further by acquiring an ISO file from elsewhere and running it with ePSXe, no issues whatsoever I might add, in fact, I'm at the 3rd boss in FF7 = ) So, at this point, I believe it to be a compatibility issue. I would just like to try and confirm this and mayhap find a possible solution, if there is one. My CD drive is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7563A ATA Device. Oddly enough, there is a second drive listed under 'Device Manager> DVD/CD-ROM drives', titled RQ3052G SGI649D SCSI CdRom Device, although there is only one physical drive on my laptop. My system specs are Vista, 1GB of RAM, 1.46 GHz Dual Core Pentium with an integrated 945x Intel graphics chip or something of that nature, just in case it interest anyone. Anywho, thanks in advance, hopefully we can figure out whats up with this = /

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I already mentioned earlier that I had tried CloneCD. When I click the "Read to image" button, select my optiarc DVD-RW drive and hit next, it gets stuck at the window that pops up saying "Waiting for Optiarc RW drive.." and it keeps repeatedly making that annoying clicking noise... lol. I tried my other drive as well, same results though(Not sure why its listed though since I have no other physical CD drives...). I tried right clicking the white area in the drive selection window, but I didn't get anything about "new". I have already isolated the problem to being computer related having tried so many ISO programs as well as having actually gotten my Emulator to play FF7 for me.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
When you tried running the CD itself what CD plugin were you using? Was it configured correctly? Did it show anything different to the ISO?

It is possible even unscratched disc that the drive isnt reading it correctly, running it from the disc should at least do something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whether or not I have the CD plugin for my ePSXe emulator configured correctly or even if its the right one at this point is irrelevant when several different ISO extracting programs can't detect a CD in the drive with the exception of like one. However, to my knowledge, I have the right CD-ROM settings. Currently using ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0. for Vista. I've tried all different combinations with it and still only a black screen. = /

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
Then sorry but your drive must be having trouble reading your discs. Nothing can be done there except replace it or use a friend's computer to make the ISOs. I thought the problem was the ISOs you made not being recognized by the emulator, so unfortunatelly that's beyond having trouble with the emulator :p

Just to make sure when you introduce the disc in the drive, is it recognized at all in the My/Computer (mine simply opens the explorer window with some files and folders and the SCUS identifier as name for example) or like tries to open AutoPlay or anything? You could try opening/closing the drive disc tray and luckily it would be recognized in one of this atempts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed. I was just hoping that maybe someone knew of some software out there that might be able to byppass this issue, which is what I thought FrogASPI might do, but apparently not. As far as the drive recognizing the CD, the only indication I have of anything of that sort is when I put the CD into the drive, there's a spinning CD icon that pops up next to my mouse cursor for a moment before going away.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
do other emulators detect the disc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Nay, I have not tried, but there is no need to. The issue has already been isolated down to the hardware level, trying several different ISO programs and no results is proof of that. At this point, the only reasonable course is finding some sort of software to correct/affixiate my CD drives incompatibility with being able to read PSX CD's and the like. I could try something like a PS2 disc, but for one, I have no intentions of playing PS2 games after having heard about the issues with PS2 games and not to mention the fact that I doubt there will be much difference between my luck with a PS2 disc over a PS1 disc.

Anywho, hopefully someone will see this that knows how to fix my problem, but otherwise, I'm going to give it a rest for now. One last thing, though. I am aware that Peopsoft GPU plugin is considered to be a better choice for 2D games having run acrossed a few posts about it, so I feel inclined to ask what is probably the best option for 3D games with Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 1GB RAM, 965 Intel integrated graphics chipset 256MB of VRAM and a Dual Core Pentium 1.46GHz processor all taken into consideration? Atop this, what settings should I have for each respected 2D/3D graphics plugin for best results and what sound plugin/sound settings would you recommend? Perhaps something like this should be taken into consideration for sticky, just a thought though = ) Anywho, thanks in advance and thanks for the help thus far.

Edit: I also just noticed something else. When I go to 'Config> Video', there is Select/Config Main Video Plugin and then below that is Config Soft Video Plugin. What is the difference? And one last thing.. again.. lol. Does hardware even really effect this much?.. I mean, it sounds kind of like an idiotic question, but I remember reading in a thread something about how ePSXe functions heavily on the operating system because of how the data is read and then converted for the games to work.. or some such sort.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
buy a LG/Hitachi GSA-44N 55N 60N or any new lg drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts