Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there're some strange problem with my PC, for unknown reason I can't enable UDMA for my DVDROM and my CDRW, even though I choose "use DMA if available" windows XP only use Multiword DMA 2, I check my DVD ROM and CDRW manual, and it says that my DVDROm supports UDMA 66 and my CDRW support UDMA 33, I already try installing the latest VIA chipset driver but they both still in Multiword DMA 2, how can I use UDMA intead Multiword DMA for my optical drives? is this windows XP problem? I've try reinstalling winXP but also doesn't work, help me please... I'm getting confuse here.. :(

oh and btw my DVD ROM is Gigabyte GO-D1600C and my CDRW is ION CDRW 52/32/52.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my BIOS only allow me to set Auto or Disable in DMA configuration, I'm sure my mobo support UDMA though coz my HDD runs fine in UDMA 5, but I wonder how come my CD RW and DVDROM cannot...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Most optical drives only run at UDMA2 or MultiWord DMA 2 anyways. It's perfectly normal.:p Probably one of the reasons they're shipped with regular 40 conductor IDE cables instead of the 80 conductor needed by UDMA4 and up.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
It may be the 80 conductor ide cables. My primary ide cable is plugged to my hd (udma5) and a cd writer (multiword dma2). The secondary ide cable is plugged to my dvd writer (udma4) and a dvd rom (udma3).

To reset the detection of dma and make windows xp to recognize your drives again you need to run regedit and then look at:

Hkeylocalmachine\system\currencontrolset\control\class\[4d36e96a-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318]\

Tip: Just look for the first set of numbers instead of looking through the entire class folder:4d36e96a. No other value has the same numbers.
You will see 3 folders: 0000, 0001, and 0002. Check them and to your right you will see: Masteridedatachecksum and slaveidedatachecksum. Erase those values and mkae sure there are no more left. Usually you willl have to erase 4 of them. (I have one master... and one slave... in the folder 0001 and another couple in the folder 0002).
Reset your pc and voila. Check in device manager if everything is faster. If not then buy a new ide cable and make sure its an 80 conductor cable instead of 40 and repeat the regedit process.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Kazuya Mishima said:
It may be the 80 conductor ide cables. My primary ide cable is plugged to my hd (udma5) and a cd writer (multiword dma2). The secondary ide cable is plugged to my dvd writer (udma4) and a dvd rom (udma3).

To reset the detection of dma and make windows xp to recognize your drives again you need to run regedit and then look at:

Hkeylocalmachine\system\currencontrolset\control\class\[4d36e96a-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318]\

Tip: Just look for the first set of numbers instead of looking through the entire class folder:4d36e96a. No other value has the same numbers.
You will see 3 folders: 0000, 0001, and 0002. Check them and to your right you will see: Masteridedatachecksum and slaveidedatachecksum. Erase those values and mkae sure there are no more left. Usually you willl have to erase 4 of them. (I have one master... and one slave... in the folder 0001 and another couple in the folder 0002).
Reset your pc and voila. Check in device manager if everything is faster. If not then buy a new ide cable and make sure its an 80 conductor cable instead of 40 and repeat the regedit process.
You really shouldn't need to do anything like that. As long as the drives are running at UDMA2 or MWDMA you'll be fine. There are very few drives that run at UDMA66, it's really not neccessary.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
One of my cd writters is running as mwdma and it just takes 2 or 3 more seconds to explore it after inserting a disc, comparing it to the other 2 drives (dma3 and 4).
The only big difference is when copying big files from the mwdma. It can take up to 10 minutes for something less than 100 mb and it will take a minute with the rest of the drives. Installing something with that drive is a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guess I'm stuck with Multi word DMA <sigh> but I guess its okay then as long as it doen't cause me any problems, well then Thanks a lot guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts