Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I get a problem whenever I press esc while playing a game in ePSXe. I can get back to the main ePSXe screen fine but when I try to run > continue the game, I just get a black screen and I can no longer play. I can press esc and get back to the main screen after this but the only way to get back to the game is to reset it or exit ePSXe and load it again. Loading a new game doesn't work. This problem is obviously also encountered when switching discs which makes multiple disc games completely unplayable for me.

I'm using 1.7.0, Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9, Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41, and Scph7502.bin. I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
what game?, its a rare occurence for me, but it has happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The game is 'D'. I googled the problem before posting here and found someone who has the same problem but provided info that I don't think I can/don't know about. The link is here if it will be of any help.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
try hitting alt and enter to switch between windowed and fullscreen modes and then hit it again to go back to what youy where using and it should fix it cuase i have problems myself sometimes doing that and this fixes it for me

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
....nvnews..... heh, im not welcome there, they got sick of me tearing **** out of their moderators for sucking at their job.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
you might want to try another emulator like psx or pcsx. if you are playing from the disc try playing from an image of it (and vise versa).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get a problem whenever I press esc while playing a game in ePSXe. I can get back to the main ePSXe screen fine but when I try to run > continue the game, I just get a black screen and I can no longer play.
Hey all,

I realise this thread is half a decade old but this thread is what google returns with when one googles this problem. I figure I might as well post my solution if google is still pointing people here!

Here's the TL;DR fix that worked for me: Change the Colour Depth to 32bit. That's it!

Now, here is the expanded version for anyone needing a bit more info:

Hardware -
• Gigabyte Brix i5-4200U NUC PC
• Intel i5-4200U
• 8GB DDR3 RAM
• Intel HD4400 graphics
• Xbox 360 wireless controller with USB wireless receiver

Software -
• ePSXe v1.9.25
• Windows 8.1 Pro
• BIOS SCPH1001.bin

Plugins -
• P.E.Op.S SoftDriver 1.18 (graphics)
• ePSXe SPU core 1.9.0 (sound. Eternal SPU unit plugin didn't work for me)
• Not even sure what CD-ROM plugin cause I just load ISOs from my SSD

Game -
• Metal Gear Solid (v1.1).bin

Changing the colour depth to 32-bit from the default 16-bit, eliminated the issue as the OP described, which was that the display kept going blank after pressing escape and then clicking Run > Continue. The game was still running as I could hear the sound and the game would respond to my inputs. Alt-tabbing didn't get around the problem, either.

However, depending on other settings, changing the colour depth to 32-bit produced another issue. That issue was, after clicking Run > Continue and resuming my game, the frame rate and sound slowed down significantly. Was pretty unplayable.

The solution to this was to significantly lower the full screen resolution. Anything from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 resulted in this problem occurring. Anything from 320x200 to 720x576 worked perfectly. Being that 720x576 is pretty much exactly what the old school TVs used to run, this seems like a perfect res to me.

Now, if you want to know how to configure your P.E.Op.S SoftDriver graphics plugin in the way that worked best for me, open the plugin config options and choose the following:

• Click the Nice default settings button in the bottom-left corner
• Fullscreen mode res - 720x576, 60Hz (Older monitors might not run 60Hz so adjust accordingly, I guess)
• Window mode - 720x576
• Colour depth - 32 Bit

That's all!

(If you want to run things in bare minimum mode, just click Fast and change the colour depth to 32 Bit)

It should be noted that this issue was not present in Windowed mode. But who wants to play with a big title bar and border around their window?!

Problems with running things in Fullscreen mode have been prevalent for as long I've been mucking around with computers (about a couple of decades). Windowed mode, on the other hand, has almost always worked for me. But as stated earlier, borders suck.

The big question: Why have the devs of ePSXe not included an option to remove the border from Windowed mode?? It's a feature of most games these days and it's a wonderfully handy option to have.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone. Took me a lot of trial and error to identify! Now, to finally start playing some awesome PS1 games!

Cheers,
Bren0

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a problem of the emulator to get back on a full screen, try first to switch to windowed (alt+enter), then again to fullscreen. It works for me on 1.6.0 and later on verions (now I'm using 1.9.0).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts