Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada's biggest record label, publisher and management company is helping out a family sued by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)for copyright infringement.

The privately-owned Nettwerk Music Group is intervening, it says, because the songs downloaded by the Gruebel family include Avril Lavigne, a Nettwerk management client. Nettwerk will fund the Gruebel's defense.

"The current actions of the RIAA are not in my artists' best interests," said Nettwerk chief executive Terry McBride in a statement.

"Litigation is not 'artist development'. Litigation is a deterrent to creativity and passion and it is hurting the business I love."

Chicago lawyer Charles Lee Mudd will defend the Gruebels.

Mudd said the RIAA has "misapplied" the law and that lawsuits should be a "shield, not a sword".

The RIAA has demanded the family pay a $9,000 penalty, reduced to $4,500 if they pay up promptly. Nettwerk has vowed to foot the legal bill if it loses the case. ®
Never actually thought I'd see one of the labels turn against the RIAA. This is interesting.

Avril Lavigne and Sarah McLachlan are two of this labels major artists.

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
That's funny... downloading content of an artist is in the artist's best interests. It's both true and false. True because more people can enjoy. False because it encourages not paying for it.

Damn... I wish I was Canadian :)

·
Banned
10,931 Posts
How did I miss this?
It looks like this is going to be one heck of a show*grabs popcorn*. I wonder if other music companies will also do the same.
BTW. Can you please put a link to the original source? I just think it's better if you do.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Kraelis said:
Actually the french are trying to get an even better deal going, where people can legally download and share any music, TV shows, or movies they want by adding an extra $5 to everyone's monthly ISP bill. Too bad something like that would never happen over here. Maybe if I can ahold of a decent french proxy server...

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Mmm... I think it might turn out to be more than $5. The standard speed in France is 25mbit (thats what I heard, correct me if I'm wrong?) ... that is a lot of warez.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Player-X said:
How did I miss this?
It looks like this is going to be one heck of a show*grabs popcorn*. I wonder if other music companies will also do the same.
BTW. Can you please put a link to the original source? I just think it's better if you do.
the article will be the exactly the same anyways

anyways heres a link

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/27/nettwerk_sues_riaa/

...always use google

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Kraelis said:
That's funny... downloading content of an artist is in the artist's best interests. It's both true and false. True because more people can enjoy. False because it encourages not paying for it.

Just because suing downloaders is not in the artists' best interests doesn't mean downloading is :???:

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
WindHydra said:
Just because suing downloaders is not in the artists' best interests doesn't mean downloading is :???:
The downloader is sued because of a crime. By helping defend the criminal, you are basically saying that the criminal shouldn't be punished for it, essentially legalizing the act (downloading). Basic crime and punishment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.