Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as far as I understand, PS2 can play PSX games, and it uses some of its components plus some extra ones to do that.

So is it possible to emulate only those components, or just the necessary parts of them, so that it plays PSX games?

Would it have any advantage over emulating the PSX console itself?

I guess it IS kinda late here huh :eyespin:

·
Registered
190 Posts
To my knowledge the PS2 contains some of the chips from a PSOne to allow the playing of PSOne games, but it uses its own graphics chips for the PSOne games you play on it.
So on the PS2 you get texture filtering, graphics in 32bit colour etc.
I don't see the need of emulating it since they are in essence almost identical to the chips in a bog standard playstation and hence ePSXe et'al already do a damn fine job of emulating a Sony Playstation.

BOB

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
If anything, changing to the PSX graphics of the PS2 would be a step down from what ePSXe already does. Now if someone doing a PS2 emulator really just *has* to get the PSX backwards compatibility down, all the power to him. ;)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umm, just to sound even more funny then I already do, how about emulating the Gameboy part of the GBA? :heh:
nevermind that...

anyways, let me clear my original funny idea. I was wondering if emulating that would be any more efficient and/or easy than emulating the PSX... :emb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think it would make it easier. If BOB is right, than it would make it more difficult as the graphics chip in the ps2 is far more complex than the ps1 chip. There are no fore see-able advantages of doing this. Unless you plan on duplicating some of these chips and making a pci board (probably highly illegal). Actually that would be cool, putting the main ps1 chips on a pci board and having software do the rest. Don't knbow even if that would help though.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
It would most definately be a step down, as even the PS2 is NOT 100% compatable to the PS1, meaning the model emu authors would be using would NOT be perfect...thus a bad emu is released

1 - 6 of 6 Posts