Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there hasnt being a perfect Saturn Emulator, but surely there should be one for Dreamcast even though there is one but can only read the bios, why is it so dificult, even thought the Saturn is runned by two SH-2 Processors, and the Dreamcast is runned by one SH-4 processor so the Dreamcast is able to do this. Why? By asking this, you lot may think im stupis and thinking im wating my time, but in fact i know what you lot are about. The Saturn is a very complex console as we all know, but surely someone could have build an emulator that can handle this?.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Saturn is a complicated beast. It actually uses 8 processors:

* 2 Hitachi 28.6MHz, 50-MIPS SH2 32-bit
RISC processors
* Hitachi SH1 32-bit RISC processor
* VDP 1 32-bit video display processor
* VDP 2 32-bit video display processor
* Saturn Control Unit (SCU)
* Motorola 68EC000 sound processor
* Yamaha FH1 DSP sound processor

To make matters worse, the two Hitachi processors work independantly..There are also two different graphics processors!...Well..depends on the game made actually (Early developers only relied on one processor for some games)

So basically you need an emulator that can force a CPU to mimic the functions of at least 6 of the processors, and a figure out a way to make it fool the graphics processor into thinking it can do the job of two video display processors.

Basically you would need one hell of a CPU processor. Saturn Emulators on PC are super demanding, and need higher then a 1GHz processor (and a damn good video card) for best results. Even then emulation is not perfect.

So imagine how hard it would be for Dreamcast's 200mHz Hitachi SuperH4 CPU!

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Reading this, makes a Saturn emu for DC look like a doomed project if it will ever be started.

DC is only fast enough to play PSX, which seems a rather easy console compared to the Saturn. But the PSX emu's that run well (bleemcast) were commercial products and the PCSX DC emu isn't doing very well either...

Better hope for a nice GBA emu, which IS possible and being worked on ;)

2 DW: Looking at it's specs, it must have been able to outperform the PSX, has this ever been seen in the games in ways of graphics or an other way?

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Actually I heard that too. I don't think we got to see it in any game though, because it's lifespan was too short to progress.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
To which project are you referring?

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, im the person who started the messge about upgrading a Dreamcast, and some person who i will not mention has bloody closed it....but anyways.....i found a good friend to help after all......he also knows how to play other console games on it like PS2, XBox, PSX and Gamecube on it....the hardware hes going to put in it will blow everything now.....my Dreamcast will be on crack man! were going to juice it up......and bere powerful.....but anyways....because the Saturn is a very complex console and needs alot of power to mimic all 8 processors and my friend says it will be powerful enough....so therefore, can anyone help me create a Sega Saturn Emulator to run on the Dreamcast perfectly, even though it will be entirely slow...i need an emulator to emulate everything the Saturn does. Please anyone can help..i will really apreciate it.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
why dont you continue in the otherthread you created? o_O
i dont know why...but i wouldnt beleive your friend...
EDIT: nevermind... ill just merge them

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
2 DW: Looking at it's specs, it must have been able to outperform the PSX, has this ever been seen in the games in ways of graphics or an other way?
Saturn was originally meant to be a 2D beast (It actually is), but when 3D was getting popular, and woird that Playstation would do it, Sega scrambled to add the capability (another processor ;) )

Put simply..the Saturn destroys PSX in terms of 2D gaming per both consoles designs. However, The Saturn had the capability to do some amazing 3D but designers didn't quite learn the "Ins and Outs". If Sega slapped together the level of developer support that Sony did with PS2, then it may have really done amazing things. The PSX was just so much easier to develop for, and was designed primarily as a 3D system.
Not like it mattered much...The Saturns target audience was primarily in Japan where they still love 2D games.

Now we are just talking in game graphics here....If Saturn did not rely on codecs so much for movies and sound it would have been even more impressive ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oalboukharey said:
Hi, im the person who started the messge about upgrading a Dreamcast, and some person who i will not mention has bloody closed it....but anyways.....i found a good friend to help after all......he also knows how to play other console games on it like PS2, XBox, PSX and Gamecube on it....the hardware hes going to put in it will blow everything now.....my Dreamcast will be on crack man! were going to juice it up......and bere powerful.....
If you say so... the only thing in the DC you could possibly improve and retain some level of compatibility is the CPU. Even then the DC's main board probobly couldn't handle it, but you never know... Plus, the fastest sh4's currently availible aren't really a whole lot faster than what the DC already has. The DC was 360MIPS IIRC and the best availible is 430MIPS. On top of that, good luck convincing Renesas to sell you one.
Oalboukharey said:
but anyways....because the Saturn is a very complex console and needs alot of power to mimic all 8 processors and my friend says it will be powerful enough....so therefore, can anyone help me create a Sega Saturn Emulator to run on the Dreamcast perfectly, even though it will be entirely slow...i need an emulator to emulate everything the Saturn does. Please anyone can help..i will really apreciate it.
First, why don't we get saturn emulation working well on the PC? Maybe then we can consider a useless port to the DC which couldn't ever possibly run games at full speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts