Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are developers creating the PS2 games? I assume they don't burn it everytime to check it on the PS2 after every piece of code ...right? So they need to have some kind of emulator, correct me if I am wrong oO

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
nope they have a ps2 test bed, if youve ever seen the ps2 with "TEST" on the side instead of PS2, that is what they use, assumably networked to a pc

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Borisz said:
That and presumebly more RAM to load debug tools on-the-fly.
as far as i know that is a couple of its features yes, it also has a debug BIOS which helps developers find problems with the game. I imagine it has other features too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
refraction said:
as far as i know that is a couple of its features yes, it also has a debug BIOS which helps developers find problems with the game. I imagine it has other features too.
Apparently with FFX it allowed you to install (through the game) it to the hard drive (assuming u put one in) so it should theoretically copy all the hidden files too.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
talgoro said:
So from what I understand this is not something that can be helpfull for this project, damn
well yes and no, more no than anything as its not a great deal different from a normal PS2, altho the debug bios might help us diagnose how things work more easily.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
CME said:
and what's this PS2? (left) o_O
Ahhhh, you've discovered the PSTool. It's the actual dev box for making games. That little white one next to it is for PSP dev. This is about a $20,000 unit the last time I checked. By the way, here's another screen shot of it. It natively runs Linux (can't use anything by Microsoft if they're your competition afterall.:p) This is something I've yet to see for sale ANWHERE.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
generalplot said:
Ahhhh, you've discovered the PSTool. It's the actual dev box for making games. That little white one next to it is for PSP dev. This is about a $20,000 unit the last time I checked. By the way, here's another screen shot of it. It natively runs Linux (can't use anything by Microsoft if they're your competition afterall.) This is something I've yet to see for sale ANWHERE.
whoa, its very expensive =| i'm sure this price is so high cause they sell it to softhouses, it isnt?

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Miretank said:
whoa, its very expensive =| i'm sure this price is so high cause they sell it to softhouses, it isnt?
Pretty much, and only licensed game developers are allowed to purchase one. Sony is very strict about who they allow to actually own one of these, and given the steep price tag, they've made sure that the common person wouldn't be able to afford one it seems.:p

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey at least at this point, it's a great bargain. 101$ ? Much cheaper than the simple PS2.
As for Sony themselves, I always wondered whether if they decide to create a PS2 emulator , it would be easier for them as they have all the information about the console.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
talgoro said:
Hey at least at this point, it's a great bargain. 101$ ? Much cheaper than the simple PS2.
As for Sony themselves, I always wondered whether if they decide to create a PS2 emulator , it would be easier for them as they have all the information about the console.
Oh I pretty much doubt that "having all the information about the console" would make it much easier making an emu for Sony.

Just look at the emulators that Sega or Nintendo made.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Borisz said:
Oh I pretty much doubt that "having all the information about the console" would make it much easier making an emu for Sony.

Just look at the emulators that Sega or Nintendo made.
yes, as far as im away even sony arent sure on how some parts of the PS2 work on the hardware side, altho i think they do have an emulator, but PCSX2 is better :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.